PDA

View Full Version : New Member

crashz
05-31-2009, 09:31
Hi,

My name is Leo and I'm a diesel-aholic! Been around heavy equipment all my life as my father owned a small excavating firm. My profession has further lead me around heavy equipment (although not directly) as I'm a civil engineer.

My first vehicle (which I still have, though its in rough shape) was a 1983 GMC K3500 single rear wheel pickup with the 6.2L diesel. I have owned an identical K2500 while going to college (as a commuter vehicle) which was traded in on various different models of trucks. I've had a few Fords and now my current daily driver, an 04 GMC 1/2 ton.

I was recently looking for a personal work truck for doing some things around our land and also at my home. So I was scoping out cheap 1 ton dumps. And ran into this beauty which has fired up my diesel truck demon inside!

She is a 1987 GMC (grill is from a Chevy) 1 ton dump with a 6.2, th400 auto and 4x4. The previous owner did a lot of work to it, including replacing all of the body panels and cab, tires, alternator, batteries, trannsmission, starter, glow plugs, etc. The truck starts and runs well and only needs minor tinkering. The transmission seems to shift late and hard, but it does not slip. I think there is a vaccum adjustment for that, but I'm not sure.

So what do you guys think? Anything I should do to it to make is more reliable and powerful (its a little weak on the hills)?

6.5 Detroit Diesel
05-31-2009, 10:08
Welcome to TDP!

Looks good! I'm looking like something like that for my roofing company. They come in mighty nice. ;)

Turn the pump up, put a turbo on. That will help you will power.

Beedee
05-31-2009, 12:10
Hi Crash
Welcome to the community. This is a great place for the Chevy diesels.

You have had a 6.2 before so you know that it will be slow on the hills but it will make it to the top. If your in a rush, it is probably the wrong truck, but for what you are doing I would think it would be a great truck.
It looks good from the pics.
If the price is right, why not go for it, you have to feed the diesel demon sometime ;)

Brian

Robyn
05-31-2009, 16:51
A big pacific Northwest welcome to TDP :D

Long live the 6.2

They are sort of like the energizer BUNNY :D;)

Robyn

Mark Rinker
06-01-2009, 05:56
Welcome aboard...your posting reminded me of an old thread that I dug up, just for this occasion. :p

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=20023&highlight=diesel-holic

Beedee
06-01-2009, 08:05
Thanks for that one Mark.
The scary part is that it is soooooooo close to the truth it hurts.
By the way, you owe me for a new laptop, I spewed my morning coffee all over it as I was reading your post.

Brian

crashz
06-01-2009, 09:48
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm obviously learning a lot and hope to help those when I can. Its been so long since I was wrenching on an oil burner, that many things have changed as technology improves.

Mark - love the 12 step program! So true that its a little embarassing!