PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advise

denverdale
06-04-2009, 07:24
I have an '02 silverado ec/short bed/dmax/allie. I pull a 13000# 5th wheel at altitudes of 5000 to 10000'. I was told that a CAI system and a larger exhaust system would help the truck a lot.
I was already considering a 4" exhaust system. My criteria is that what ever I do will be cost effective and not be loud or produce a drone in the cab. My objective is to improve mileage, improve towing ability, and not break the bank.
I do use the Edge Juice/Attitude and usually tow on level 2.
Most of you that post regularly know so much more than I do about what works and doesn't work that I am turning to you for input.
Also, since we must run low sulpher fuel, would I be wise to use something like B-G fuel conditioner?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Denver Dale

More Power
06-04-2009, 12:45
I was told that a CAI system and a larger exhaust system would help the truck a lot.

Is the truck having difficulty towing your trailer now?

Coming June 15th will a new article here in TDP that discusses what effect replacing the factory exhaust system with a MagnaFlow 4" performance system has on the truck's dyno numbers and hill pulling ability. Also included is a discussion about what effect the new system has on EGT and boost pressure. It might be worth waiting till you've had a chance to read it before making a final decision. :)

Jim

Mark Rinker
06-04-2009, 13:27
We put ~160K towing and snowplowing miles on a used 2002 K2500 (purchased with ~130K already on the odometer) and had great success with KennedyDiesel's switchable tow/performance tune for the Duramax LB7, combined with KennedyDiesel adjustable Boost Valve to bring up boost to match the higher fuel rates.

Good power, great mileage, no bad behavior through the mountains - no SES codes, no overheat, transmission slip, etc. Truck ran multiple 7000 mile roundtrips last summer coast to coast from Florida to Vancouver, BC via Minneapolis with oversize boats - with 270K already on the odometer and the original stock transmission in place! Even with the mountains and the heavy/wind dirty loads, it averaged 9-10mpg, and could still make 19-20mpg when driven empty.

My opinion is that all GM LB7 trucks should have come from the factory with KD's tune and boost control - simply better than OEM stock by any measurement. Even if you have miles on, its a great upgrade if you tow heavy, or with loads that catch alot of wind.

As for intake/filtration our policy is run factory stock peice and change the filters with AC/Delco regularly. OEM exhaust is okay, a 4" system will help with even better EGTs, power, mileage.

denverdale
06-04-2009, 15:29
More Power - Thanks for the input. I am not in a hurry to do any mods, so I'll wait for the article coming up.
Mark - Thanks for your input as well. The adjustable boost valve is something I need to look into. At higher elevations it might help get some air into the engine.

Denver Dale

Shed
06-11-2009, 09:09
Dale, in my limited expirience I have seen my EGT go sky high (danger levels) when pulling my trailer at high altitudes. One mod you should consider if you do not have it are gauges, specifically EGT. I have a 4" magna flow and an airaid intake system. I have been happy with the performance of these products and have noticed an increase in power and fuel economy. I do notice a drone with the magna flow, but I wonder if a different muffler might make a difference? Have not looked into that, I guess it has not affected me enough yet. Also when adding more air I ended up adding a lift pump. Good luck!
Shed