PDA

View Full Version : WHO Designed the Waterpump Mounting System??!!

rustyk
06-04-2009, 20:48
I just finished installing my second 6.5L TD waterpump today; the first was 3 years ago on the original engine to update it to the 130 GPM pump and dual thermostats (from Kennedy - highly recommended!).

WHO in the world designed a mounting system that has 19 bolts (13 in the front, of which 5 are for the front cover, and 6 from the rear)?!

As a footnote, the cause of the pump failure is odd. The engine is installed in my diesel pusher motorhome. Last year, while crawling around under it, I noticed the tips of the fan blades had some notches from wear. I cleaned them up, and forgot about it, figuring something had temporaily lodged between the fan and the shroud. Then I noticed a couple of weeks ago coolant dripping from the weep hole.

When I removed the fan, it was obvious the tip erosion had increased. Hmmm...(this coach has a steel shroud, and the fan balses are aluminum on a steel hub) there's only one way this could happen: Bad engine mounts. And that's the case. Tomorrow, it goes in, and I'll also check the universals to make sure they're not causing a bounce to prematurely wear the mounts, even though I grease them (with synthetic) every 12.000 miles.

Robyn
06-05-2009, 06:37
I have asked the same question about the Water pump and such on these.

I do believe it could have been done much simpler.

Good luck with the Mpunts and such

Missy

rustyk
06-05-2009, 21:40
The mounts are in; had my mech do 'em since sometimes it's a four-hand operation (and this one did turn out that way). Naturally I had a brain pfart and got the ones for the 4WD insted of the correct 2WD... Universals seem to be OK.