PDA

View Full Version : Help with my 2001 Duramax

3A703
06-05-2009, 16:37
I just bought this truckand if I accelerate beyond any given speed the truck fall son it's face and the SES comes on, I took the truck to the dealer and they hooked up the computer to the truck and told me the ECM was bad, So I replaced it and now I can not get the truck to start? Any ideas!! HELP

Duramaster
06-05-2009, 19:06
You can't just "replace the ECM". It has to be programmed in the vehicle. ECM failures are rare. Are you sure that the fuel filter isn't just plugged? The 2001- 2004.5 LB7 DMAX engines are famous for injector issues (one of them being a low power complaint). Do you still have the old ECM? If so, reinstall it and get the ecm scanned for dtc's and post them so we can help you figure this out. Welcome to the Diesel Page!! ;)

3A703
06-05-2009, 22:17
I had the New ECM flashed with my VIN #, I also installed a new fuel filter, The dealer told me all 8 injectors were replaced 3000 miles ago the truck has 213,000 miles on it. I do still have the old ECM I will try and see what happens. Thanks

3A703
06-06-2009, 06:10
When the old ECM was in, the SES light would not come on until you caused it too by traveling at a normal speed and then trying to quickly accelerate then it would shut down kinda like a govenor but it would not accelerate again. The code was P0093, Large fuel leak detected??? I have checked the oil and it is good! Any more ideas???

Mark Rinker
06-06-2009, 08:10
You can't just "replace the ECM". It has to be programmed in the vehicle. ECM failures are rare. Are you sure that the fuel filter isn't just plugged? The 2001- 2004.5 LB7 DMAX engines are famous for injector issues (one of them being a low power complaint). Do you still have the old ECM? If so, reinstall it and get the ecm scanned for dtc's and post them so we can help you figure this out. Welcome to the Diesel Page!! ;)

Actually, you can swap a stock ECM from a 2002 into a 2001 and simply turn the key. I've done it with no issues, no re-flashing, etc.

Also swapped a custom tuned ECM, programmed for the 2001 into the 2002 when the 2001 was sold. No problems there either.

3A703
06-06-2009, 18:14
Mark, or Duramaster, Put the old ECM Back in Truck started right up, Took it down the road same problem loss of power. Code comes up P0093??? How do I fix this???? Any Ideas:mad: Getting pretty frustated!!!

NutNbutGMC
06-06-2009, 18:35
I did a search on "P0093" Lots of hits on it here on this forum.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showpost.php?p=252089&postcount=2

3A703
06-06-2009, 18:45
Thanks for the advice but it seems I have tried everything, Injectors were replaced 3000 miles ago new fuel filter! I have heard some talk about a cP3? what is it and where? Also mabey a Fuel pressure Reglator?

NutNbutGMC
06-07-2009, 07:43
Thanks for the advice but it seems I have tried everything, Injectors were replaced 3000 miles ago new fuel filter! I have heard some talk about a cP3? what is it and where? Also mabey a Fuel pressure Reglator?

Searched on CP3

Please keep us informed when you get this resolved.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=26094&highlight=cP3

3A703
06-07-2009, 09:51
Update, I pulled the nem ECM out, Re-Installed the old and same thing P0093, So I removed the ECM again Installed the new Core called the supplier of the core he walked me through the process of the Anti theft crap that was preventing the engine from starting before and finally the truck started, No codes! So I took the truck for a spin and you guessed it SES came on and same code P0093:mad:. So does anybody have any ideas at all. I will take the truck back to the local dealer Mon. morning and see what the HELL they were talking about?:confused::confused:. If anybody has any ideas at all I would sure appreciate the help!!!

Duramaster
06-07-2009, 10:10
Actually, you can swap a stock ECM from a 2002 into a 2001 and simply turn the key. I've done it with no issues, no re-flashing, etc.

Also swapped a custom tuned ECM, programmed for the 2001 into the 2002 when the 2001 was sold. No problems there either.

User "3A703" didn't say he installed a "USED" ecm. He said he installed a new ecm. Tha tells me that it was never programmed. A new GM ECM comes out of the box "STUPID". You have to program it so it knows what the application of the vehicle is, theft deterrent data, speed calibration data, vehicle options, etc. Now I will say that I haven't tried to just install a new ecm and run an LB7 without programming. It may be possible. I have had no reason to ever try it that way. :o

Duramaster
06-07-2009, 10:19
As fas as your P0093 goes.................... If the injectors are actually only 3,000 miles old and they test good meaning they aren't returning too much fuel, then the other most likely problem is that the fuel pump itself is shot. You need your technician look at the calculated fuel return rate. On a new good set of injectors, it is around 300- 400 cubic milliliters. When a set is bad the calculated fuel return rate can be over 1200 cubic milliliters. The other test is to pull the upper/ lower rocker covers off and perform the return volume test at the injectors individually. It should be no more than 3 cubic milliliters while cranking for 15 seconds. If you just check bank to bank, it should't be anymore than 12 cubic milliliters per side. Another question, your fuel isn't waxing or gelling is it? What kind of fuel are you using? If you are using Bio-diesel, don't use any more than B-5 or all bets are off.

Good luck

3A703
06-07-2009, 10:33
Duramaster, thanks for the info, I never used Bio Diesel, The fuel appears to be fine I purchase it from a Busy Supplier who goes through alot of fuel. Do you know what a CP3 is and where it is located could that be the problem? or could it be a Fuel pressure regulator? The truck blows no smoke, no fuel in the crank case. Just looking for ideas and options. Thanks

DmaxMaverick
06-07-2009, 10:48
The "CP3" is the high pressure fuel pump, in the front of the engine valley.

If you aren't making oil (rising oil level, caused by fuel leakage into the crankcase), your problem could also be the fuel pressure regulator, or a sensor malfunction. If the PCM "thinks" you have a fuel leak, it will react accordingly, whether or not an actual "leak" exists.

3A703
06-07-2009, 11:10
DmaxMaverick, Thanks, Could any of those problems cause the truck to shut down like it is on hills or pulling trailers?

DmaxMaverick
06-07-2009, 11:24
DmaxMaverick, Thanks, Could any of those problems cause the truck to shut down like it is on hills or pulling trailers?

Yes. In all likelihood, the PCM will cause "Limp Mode". Power will be reduced, RPM's will be reduced, and possibly limiting the tranny to one gear. You'll need more than just the DTC to diagnose this. You'll need to see the actual performance in real time, with a capable scanner. Without it, you won't be able to tell which component or system is the cause of the DTC.

3A703
06-08-2009, 09:51
Well just to update the situation I took the truck back to the local GM dealer and they acted insulted that I would bring the truck back to them and question that it was not the ECM, I specifically told them I did not doubt them but would like them to further investigate the problem and they told me it would be a few days they only had 1 other truck in the shop at the time and 1 in the yard, and 3 mechanics scraching there you know what! So my buddy works at the local Ford dealership and said they would take a look at for me. The next closest Gm dealer is 80 miles away? What do ya do

DmaxMaverick
06-08-2009, 10:22
Well just to update the situation I took the truck back to the local GM dealer and they acted insulted that I would bring the truck back to them and question that it was not the ECM, I specifically told them I did not doubt them but would like them to further invetigate the problemand they told me it would be a few days they only had 1 other truck in the shop at the time and 1 in the yard, and 3 mechanics scraching there you know what! So my buddy works at the local Ford dealership and said they would take a look at for me. The next closest Gm dealer is 80 miles away? What do ya do

Ask them if they are one of the dealerships being closed. Then, ask them if they would like to be.

Unfortunately, if they are the only GM dealer within 80 miles, it isn't likely they'll be closed. Perhaps they know that.

Another approach.....
Get your hands on the truck's service history. If there was a complaint of a similar nature while the truck was serviced under warranty, get an area rep involved to investigate inferior repair practice. They have you over a barrel, but it doesn't have to stay that way. It's possible the injector replacement may have been warranty, which puts the ball in your court. Don't take their word for it. Put your own eyes on the service history report. If they didn't do a competent repair on the injectors, they owe you that much.

And....Check your oil level, every day!
I didn't have an oil contamination issue until AFTER an injector replacement. A return pipe was damaged during reassembly, dumping fuel into my crankcase within 500 miles of the replacement. Initially, the warranty manager said return pipes weren't covered under the extended warranty campaign, so the repair was on my nickel. All I had to say was it wasn't leaking when I brought it in....The dealership owner agreed, and they took care of it. If you want some grease, sometimes you have to be the squeaky wheel.

[edit]
It may be worth it, going the extra 80 miles to get to a competent dealer. At the very least, get their service manager on the phone and explain your situation. They may be able to help.

3A703
06-08-2009, 10:44
Thanks for that. I did find out from my buddy they are losing there Dealership so that may have something to do with it. And honestly the way they treated me I don't care:D. If my buddy can not come up with something I will take it to the next dealership up the road. And thanks for the heads up on the Service record. I appreciate it.

Duramaster
06-08-2009, 13:46
Where are you located 3A703??

3A703
06-08-2009, 13:58
Central Utah

Duramaster
06-09-2009, 18:11
Well scratch that, I'm here in Portland, Oregon..................

3A703
06-11-2009, 17:37
Well I'm back to square one my buddy was not able to help me, Does not have the right equipment to work on the Duramax. So can anyone give me a picture of where the Fuel pressure sensor and Fuel pressure regulator are located. After reading all the posts that I have read I'm certain it has got to be one or the other??

DmaxMaverick
06-11-2009, 19:41
Well I'm back to square one my buddy was not able to help me, Does not have the right equipment to work on the Duramax. So can anyone give me a picture of where the Fuel pressure sensor and Fuel pressure regulator are located. After reading all the posts that I have read I'm certain it has got to be one or the other??

If you have tools, and can use them, go HERE (http://www.alldatadiy.com), for pictures and instructions.

3A703
06-11-2009, 21:36
Thanks!!:)

leolkfrm
06-12-2009, 06:37
I had a similiar ongoing problem with my LB7 till a no start situation. when the injectors are done they unplug the 2 engine harness connectors, make sure all the wires are snapped into the connectors
the mechanic that worked on mine did not agree with gm's procedure of pulling everthing apart to test components, and traced all my problems to 3 loose wires at the connectors, when the one broke connection it would not start, I was lucky it was a little under 300$"S but worth it. they were on the engine side of the harness, and took time to vibrate loose. they snapped back in fine.

madmatt
06-15-2009, 19:58

Be sure first as both are VERY expensive to just throw at a truck and hope it helps.

3A703
06-29-2009, 22:03
Well I beleive the problem has been solved, I took the truck to Gillete Diesel Service in SLC, UT and they ran a full on slought of test and it came back as 2 injectors failed 1 on each side. After geting the VIN info from Duramaster I discovered that the injectors were relaced at 3000 miles not 3000 miles ago so with over 210,000 miles on the injectors I opted to have all of them replaced $3800.00 and change! What do ya do!!!

Duramaster
06-30-2009, 06:49
Runs great now right? :)

3A703
06-30-2009, 14:30
Well I may have spoke to soon, about 20 miles from home the SES light comes on so when I get home I hooked my code reader up and it said P0089 (Fuel Pressure regulator) so I cleared it took it for a little drive and went to pass a vehicle and the SES light comes back on and the truck goes into limp mode!!!:mad:. So I called Gillett Diesel and they really don't know what it could be, they are guessing FPR???. Any ideas!!!!

3A703
07-07-2009, 18:35
Is anybody still reading post?? I would appreciate a response. Thanks!!

madmatt
07-07-2009, 19:02
still read just hard to diag them all via pc. feel like driving to So. IN.???

Duramaster
07-07-2009, 19:42
Check your Private message 3A703. ;)

Kennedy
07-08-2009, 10:14
There are 3 key areas that could be causing this issue.

1) ECM programming. The 2001 programming is a bit odd. We handle this quite often with either my Kennedy Basic (stock power levels) or Kennedy Custom tuning. Refreshing the factory tuning wil not cut it.

2) Supply restriction. Assuming of course filter(s) are fresh. This we handle with my Twin pump everything kit. This will take you from the pickup to the hard steel line eliminating any potential leaks or restrictions here.

3) Pump and/or injector issues. These are the toughest to trace and most expensive so they are usually held for last.

I've been getting more and more calls on this subject as these trucks get older. I believe that the 2001 ECM programming is so close to teh edge of teh fault that some trucks have issues early on while others take a while to show up.

FYI for Mark Rinker the resaon your ECM's swap is because the anti theft is learned in the original and my custome unit, but if you were to try another you'd have to to a VTD learn.

bwboley
11-11-2012, 17:42
Any update on this mines doing the same. 01 lb7 injectors tested fine at gm. I have efilive dps5 4 inch magnaflow, cai. On any tune stock to 150 over stock it falls on its face at 2700-3000rpm and puts out p0093 sometimes. Fresh fuel filter and filter head rebuild.

Kennedy
11-12-2012, 09:56
Any update on this mines doing the same. 01 lb7 injectors tested fine at gm. I have efilive dps5 4 inch magnaflow, cai. On any tune stock to 150 over stock it falls on its face at 2700-3000rpm and puts out p0093 sometimes. Fresh fuel filter and filter head rebuild.

On an ongoing basis I have been doing custom ECM programming and addressing this issue with complete success ASSUMING your hard parts are fine.

More Power
11-13-2012, 10:59

How were the injectors tested? When did this problem begin?

Jim