PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil AFT 1G in transfer case?

Mark Rinker
06-06-2009, 07:53
My shop called today and wondered if they could use Amsoil ATF 1G in my transfer case (2006 K3500)...

Is this the right stuff? http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

DmaxMaverick
06-06-2009, 08:46
That's the right stuff for the TC. It's what I use, and recommend. If you plan on using a lot of it, you can save some $$ by sourcing it in 5 gallon lots (2x 2.5 gal jugs-very handy), or drums.

Mark Rinker
06-06-2009, 09:02
Thanks for the verification.

With the towing duties, and snowplowing (4HI for miles/hours on end) I am still planning on doing annual t-case fluid changes, regardless of miles, right before plowing season begins.

Sound reasonable?

DmaxMaverick
06-06-2009, 09:28
Perhaps. I'd probably do the same with traditional fluid. Using synthetic (of any reputable brand), I'd consider having a look at the fluid condition and metal content. In my experience, the magnetic plugs come out cleaner (less metallic wear) using synthetic, compared to the same conditions with traditional fluid. Premature changes are waste, but uncertainty and the risk of using it beyond its usefulness may justify it. From an ecological point of view, longer service intervals translates to less waste products.

Mark Rinker
06-06-2009, 15:27
Two fresh quarts of Amsoil are in place. The service tech said the stuff that came out was pretty bad...

DmaxMaverick
06-06-2009, 16:38
Usually when I do or hear of a really bad change, I recommend a 50% (or less, depending on how bad, and what) interval at the next service. Unless the gearbox is flushed, it will retain a fair amount of what was drained.

Mark Rinker
06-06-2009, 16:55
Haven't decided if a plow is going on this truck yet. If it gets a plow, it will get another service before the '4HI' season begins...

Thanks for the info/insight :)