PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter Maintenance

crashz
06-10-2009, 09:55
Please excuse my ignorance as I'm going to ask a simple question to the guru's here. I have previously owned two 1983 6.2Ls diesels (Still have one minus the 6.2) and now an 87. The fuel filters are vastly different.

Is there a trick to changing the filter? Its doesn't appear that you can pre-fill them prior to installation. I would like to service the truck this weekend and need a method that will not run the batteries down and will not require air pressure at the tank.

My thoughts are that I can replace the square filter element, remove the black plastic bleeder screw at the top of the housing and fill it with diesel using a squeeze bottle. If I fill this port full and keep it topped up until there are no air bubbles, will this work?

This is probably a beaten subject, I'm sorry, but I couldn't find a similar thread that didn't invovle pressurizing the tank to force fuel through the filter.

Thanks!
Leo

DmaxMaverick
06-10-2009, 10:19
There's really no way to "pre-fill" the filter on your 87. The easiest, most common method is to disconnect the FSS (pink wire at the IP), and crank the engine with the top filter bleeder open. Stop when fuel shows up. Hard on batteries and starter(s), but effective, and doesn't take too long. If you crank w/o disconnecting the IP solenoid, you will have to push all that air through the pump, lines, and injectors. Takes a lot more cranking, and weak batteries/starter won't do it.

The absolute best method is to use a vacuum pump (I've brought this up a lot lately). Once the new filter is installed, use a hand operated vacuum pump (like you'd use for brake system bleeding) at the bleeder to fill the filter. If you do this, it should start/run almost immediately. At the worst, a slight hiccup, stall, and quick restart and you're back on your way.

Pressurizing the fuel tank works, and I've done it a few times. It has its own caveats, though, as you might expect. I don't recommend it.

crashz
06-10-2009, 18:29
Thanks Dmax,

I'll try the vacuum pump method first. Any tips and tricks to the job? Thanks!
Leo

DmaxMaverick
06-10-2009, 18:55
Nothing special. Open the bleeder, pump, stop when you get fuel, close, start.