PDA

View Full Version : Running the 6.5 without a PCM?

cgoffroad
06-11-2009, 21:31
Im having to rework my plan for my Re-power and I had to ditch the 4L80E Transmission. I have chosen to use an SM465 manual instead.

The 4L80E PCM box has lines that run to various spots on the engine. My question is Can i run the 6.5 without those hooked up.

Or can I run the 6.5 With the lines to the engine hooked up but not the Trans.

This engine/trans came out of a GM P30 van. ITs a 6.5 Block with a 6.2 Fuel system, so im told. I am planning on adding the Turbo and all the applicable hardware but upgrading the Injectors and lines. THe IP is not throttle by wire but has a cable that runs to the go pedal.

Iv looked everywhere and havent found a solid answer. Any help is apprecated

Respectfully
JW

DmaxMaverick
06-11-2009, 21:43
If the fuel system is mechanical (MFI), then no 'puter necessary. Ditch it.

cgoffroad
06-11-2009, 22:08
Im not sure if its MFI or not. There is a wire that leads to the side of the IP that my wiring diagram says is TPS (throttle Position sensor) and 2 more that say High idle and Low Idle Selonoids. There are a few more wires that lead to the Fuel filter (water in fuel sensor i think) and a pressure sensor on the rear of the block?

JW

DmaxMaverick
06-11-2009, 22:27
To make this as simple as possible.....

Is the throttle controlled by a pull cable? Look at the accelerator pedal. If so, it's MFI. If your accelerator pedal has a wire harness attached, it's EFI. They are not interchangeable.

If you have a TPS, it should be MFI.

Burning Oil
06-11-2009, 22:35
What year truck? According to your first post I would say you have a DB2 pump.

cgoffroad
06-11-2009, 22:47
I dont know what year. Its a 506 block though

Ok after looking closer it appears to be a DB2 pump. So based on this do I need to run the engine harness? As long as I run the glo plug harness

DmaxMaverick
06-11-2009, 23:01
You'll only need injector pump connections (FSS, HPCA, high idle), instrumentation senders, and the glow plug system. Just about as simple as it gets.