PDA

View Full Version : Oil Level Rising!

Aryeh Levy
09-10-2005, 12:24
I just switched to rotella synthetic.

My oil is 2 quarts high. After ~300 miles. I'll have to drain it back to normal level i suppose. It doesn't smell like fuel to me.

Next step Compression Test?

Any cheap fixes to this?

Likely issues?
I.e. Cracked piston versus head gasket versus poor spray on injectors more likely?

To sum: Most important is accurate diagnostics.
I.E. should I do a compression test or other?
Is oil analysis a good idea?

markrinker
09-10-2005, 13:48
Hmmm...have you completely ruled out the possiblity of an overfill at the time of your last oil change?

Secondly...I'd park the vehicle until you can get an analysis of the extra you drain out.

My guess, barring an overfill, is that you have coolant mixing with your oil, not fuel.

Aryeh Levy
09-10-2005, 14:34
Do a lot of shops do oil analysis? I don't have any option but to keep driving it. I get paid on comission based on driving.

Any idea on where to do oil analysis in DC Area?

Oil level is back to 1 quart over full now.

maybe the syn oil just expands a LOT when it heats up?

[ 09-10-2005, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Aryeh Levy ]

rjwest
09-11-2005, 01:15
Check it " COLD " in the morning.

I use " Blakstone Labs " in indiana,
1 day analysis after they recieve the oil,

How many qts did you put in?

Did you change the filter. ( same filter as before?

Was truck facing down hill when you changed oil?

Do you have a mark on the coolant tank for cold level, " black marker "at cold level to detect
any change.

Dvldog 8793
09-11-2005, 04:51
Howdy
If you are low on coolant. Start truck in morning, let it run till you get to operating temp +5 minutes. shut it down, let it cool for about 1 hour. VERY SLOWLY open the oil drain so that it will just start to drip if the first drop out of the oil pan is water then you have some "issues". Otherwise oil anylisis is a good idea.

Hansh
09-11-2005, 17:10
Amsoil has an analysis kit.

Chuck1
09-11-2005, 21:50
When you shut it down and it sits for a few hours the engine oil that is in the injection pump drains and raises the level.Could that be it.

moondoggie
09-12-2005, 08:00
Good Day!

"maybe the syn oil just expands a LOT when it heats up?" I've been using 5W-40 Synthetic Rotella in all listed vehicles + various gas cars for more than a year, with no difficulty of any kind, certainly not what you've described.

Maybe related, I don't know... When I change oil, I fill just short of what I know the vehicle needs. Then I start & verify oil pressure (light off or gauge up). Then I look underneath for drips or sprays. Then I shut off & go do something else for as long as is practical. I want the oil level to where it will be when sitting flat & level overnight.

Blessings!

charliepeterson
09-12-2005, 18:27
If the oil level is rising than something else must be droping. If not coolant than it has to be fuel. How many miles on the injectors? If a cylinder is getting washed down this is bad. The good news is I havn't heard too many trucks doing this.
When you first start the truck do you hear any extra noise or see gray/white smoke that doesn't clear up right away?

Scooby
09-13-2005, 01:47
I have always found a milkshake in the crankcase with a coolant leak. It almost has to be fuel. With the amount you have accumulated, I would think the oil would have a fuel smell to it by now.

Dvldog 8793
09-13-2005, 03:12
The new anti-freeze mixes very well with oil and turns into a oil-based jelly that will cling to the inside of the block. Normally it doesn't increase the oil level but you do see a decrease in coolant. An easy place to check for this oil goop is inside the CDR. It looks just like black oil pudding, I've never tasted it though :D
L8r
Conley

Aryeh Levy
09-15-2005, 04:38
I've been running injector cleaner.

I just popped JK's boost fooler Stock, and i lost ALL my black smoke. I'm runnig a #9 resistor.
I figured that loosing all the smoke means the flames arent still burning leaving the valves=lower egt...

i need to do a gauge install... going to swap downpipe, port intake drill and tap for gauges and install egt and boost at the same time. my mechanic friend says 4-8 hours, we need to do it on a weekend when hes free.

could the higher boost pressures cause fuel to be forced past rings?

I want to pop test the injectors - its $15 at a shop i found, but i need to remove them myself.

I doubt seriously i have any coolant.
I "think" the injectors have 130k miles on them
I parked the truck uphill when i changed the oil.

If i parked it uphill (front higher), would that make the oil level lower or higheron the dipstick on level ground?

markrinker
09-15-2005, 07:55
Higher. Relax, it sounds like a simple overfill.