PDA

View Full Version : Grey smoke in morning,Could this be a warning?

G B Sisson
01-25-2004, 14:02
Greetings, My 94 burb has been starting harder and harder lately,still havent replaced block heater as napa is back ordered.Today I went to check glow plugs ...first seven are ok,but I cant get to 3rd one back on pass side.Do I get there from above or below?Pull wheel?It is not really cold,just around freezing here,but when it starts,lots grey/white smoke-rough running few seconds,like flooded gasser.If all gp.s ok what next? Batts are new,grounds cleaned,spins like a champ,not a cranking problem dont think .15-40 oil.Like to chek that last GP....Thanks,GB

Barry Nave
01-25-2004, 18:16
What glow plug's are you using?
How much time does rhe glow light stay on?
Glow are ok but is the rest of the glow system ok?

G B Sisson
01-25-2004, 20:29
The GP light stays on 12 seconds,just went out and timed it.It's 38*f.I can hear a relay click also.Thanks

Barry Nave
01-26-2004, 03:01
I have # 8 that won't come out. They were the #9 G glow plug and # 8 cyl. will come loose just not out so for now all 7 still starts good even at 0 deg. You can tell # 8 takes a while to hit.
Just thought if you have the 60G you may need more glow time. Now we have the new plugs that JK sell and can't be beat.

G B Sisson
01-26-2004, 08:15
Dont know what GPs are in it. I bought from dealer w 130,000 now has 147,000.Can I try longer glow time by unplugging sensor by thermostat? GB

HowieE
01-26-2004, 10:10
The colder it is out side the higher the likelyhood you will see white or light gray smoke on startup. This is unburned fuel that is pushed through the engine as it cranks over. If it stops as soon as all cylinders are fireing I would consider it normal.
To improve your starting test each glow plug but removing the lead from each plug and testing the lug on the plug to ground for continuity. If you see continuity the plug is working to some extent, if not it is bad. Better yet replace the plugs if they may be originals and be sure they are working top notch.

ucdavis
01-26-2004, 16:17
At 38 degrees, white smoke should not be overly noticable. Check codes (see: http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/trblcode.htm )for a 29. If you're getting that you have a problem w/the glow plug controller (easy to replace). You can't get too far from the water on Orcas (I spent coupla wonderful nights in West Bight) so your ambient temps can't get way the He@@ freezing cold; that's why I'd look a bit further B4 calling it customary.
BTW, I've seen others call for removing the fender well (not the wheel, tho that'd give even more working room) and come in from the wheel side to get that last plug. I go in over the passenger tire, but my rig is differnt.