PDA

View Full Version : Weight of Diesel truck-Capacity of trailer

Rob4
06-13-2009, 05:32
I just bought a standard cab non 4x4 1993 diesel with a bad engine. I need to tow it about 100 miles to get it home. I borrowed my buddies two axle car hauler trailer to move it. However, the tag on the trailer states it has a 3500 lb GAWR. Is GAWR a gross axle weight rating? Does that mean that the total weight for the trailer is 3500 lbs or is that the weight per axle? What is the weight of the truck? I think that what a car hauler trailer is for is to haul cars. Thanks in advance for any input.

DmaxMaverick
06-13-2009, 09:10
GAWR is Gross Axle Weight Rating. On utility trailers, it could mean each, or both. It depends on the how the tag is worded. If it doesn't list two axle ratings (front/rear), it should be combined rating, meaning, total capacity of both axles together is 3500. In any case, the rating will be the total weight bearing capacity of the axle, or axles, and includes the weight of the trailer. A "3500 GVWR Car Haul Trailer" might be suited for golf carts. Not many "cars" are less than 2K, which is about what would be left after taking the trailer and accessories into consideration. I don't think there are ANY trailers billed as "car haulers" with a GVWR as low as 3500. A common GAWR for a consumer-level, non-commercial "car hauler" is 7K (which, incidentally, is 3500 x 2). I frequently use a (friend's) "3500 GAWR" utility trailer, and there's no way I would haul any car on it, even if the weight was right. Maybe a Beetle, minus the drivetrain. This trailer has 4 lug "utility type" 12" wheels, and brakes on one axle, and the tag states the GAWR and GVWR the same (the tag lists both axles as one rating). Very "light duty", compared to any trailer I've seen badged as a "car hauler".

Have a look at the axles. If it has 5 or 6 lug automotive-type 14, 15 or 16" wheels (most commonly 15" with 5 lugs, on a 7K trailer), with brakes on both axles, it's a safe bet the GVWR of the trailer is 7K. 3500 pounds is also the magic number, in most states, as a break point on brake requirements. In CA, for example, any trailer greater than 3500 GVWR must have brakes, and any single axle with a rating of 3500 or greater must have brakes. Less than 7K GVWR may have only one axle brake, 7K+ must have two (or more, depending on number of axles, and their independent/combined capacity).

DennisG01
06-13-2009, 09:56
That '93 would probably weigh about 6,000lbs to 6,500lbs. Probably closer to 6K. My Sub is 7,000lbs.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
06-13-2009, 21:47
Mine weighs in with a half tank of fuel and me at around 6,400. I would guess yours right at 6,000lbs.

JohnC
06-16-2009, 14:13
Check the length of the trailer bed vs. the wheelbase. The weight may be moot...