PDA

View Full Version : Tired 6.2 with low miles

Petrella
06-15-2009, 21:59
Hey everyone! I finally got my old 1988 6.2 C1500 (newer body style) back on the road. It has been parked since 04. (keepin the duramax shiny in the garage! he he) It has 130,000 original miles and its been in the family since new. Ive been driving it for a week now. It starts perfect and sounds really good, but I notice that it lacks a lot of the power it used to have and it blows black smoke like crazy especially at high rpm's. When i climb hills empty it slows down to about 35mph, and the black smoke pours out. I replaced the fuel filter, air filter, and the lift pump pumps very good. Is it time for a new injection pump and a set of injectors? i used the stanadyne additive in the tank, didnt change a thing. If I have to change the pump and injectors which ones should i go with? I have plans on turbocharging this truck soon. I also want to get rid of the C intake and EGR, and bolt on the J intake i have in my shop, if i have to change the injector pump. I need the most power i can get out of this engine cause i do a lot of towing with my boat in the summer, and snowmobile trailer in the winter. Will i get more power and get rid of the smoke if i buy a new injection pump, injectors, and use my J intake?

Thank you!

john8662
06-16-2009, 06:55
You'll likely fix the smoke problem by swapping to the J intakes. I'm highly suspecting a malfunctioning EGR system currently. You can disable the vacuum to the EGR pod in the intake and that will prevent it from opening, see if the smoke goes away.

J

Petrella
06-16-2009, 21:04
Yeah i tried that already, and the smoke is just as bad. I am not quite sure if the EGR is closing all the way too. I randomly get the ses light come on and i get get code 32. If i install the J intake and kink off the hose to the EGR will the ses light stay off? Cause it drives me nuts when it comes on.

Robyn
06-17-2009, 07:45
The egr solenoid is likley at fault (electrical issue in the solenoid)

If you block off the egr you should get rid of the smoke issue. Or as mentioned go to the J in take.

Make sure that some little creature has not built a home in the intake piping. This has happened more than you might think.

Helped a friend with this issue on a 94 6.5 TD truck. Had a RAT living in the fender snorkel. :eek:

Evicted the RAT and cleaned out the mess. Poooof no more smoke.

Rigs that sit any length of time are a popular spot for little critters to set up house keeping.

Good luck

Robyn

Petrella
07-01-2009, 12:02
I installed the J intake today and Oh my god! what a difference! the power is triple what it was before and 0 smoke clean as a whistle!!! I even went to the extent of hooking up my 24 foot snowmobile trailer with 3 sleds inside and goin for a run up the road, and i was still impressed! I can actually use this truck to tow now! She runs great now! Just need to find a turbo now!!!!