PDA

View Full Version : Air restriction gage/device

Roachie
06-15-2009, 22:02
I'm considering fitting a Donaldson Air Restiction device on the clean side of my air intake and wondering whether anybody out there has any suggestions as to the value of the device I should buy. Apparently they come in 15"H2O, 20"H2O, 25"H2O & 30"H20.

Anybody got any idea which one I'd need for a naturally aspirated 6.5 diesel breathing through a 8" Donaldson Air Cleaner?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Roachie

a4stargen
06-16-2009, 05:25
Any of them will give you the info that you are looking for. Personally I would shoot for the 25 guage. Once your filter gets to 15" of restriction, it's time to change it anyway. But other than that all of those guages do the same thing / show the same info.

Think of them like temprature guages. Do you want one that shows a max of 240, 260, 280 or 300? They all give you the same info, they just have a different max reading.

I hope this answer didn't add to the confusion.

Roachie
06-16-2009, 21:57
Any of them will give you the info that you are looking for. Personally I would shoot for the 25 guage. Once your filter gets to 15" of restriction, it's time to change it anyway. But other than that all of those guages do the same thing / show the same info.

Think of them like temprature guages. Do you want one that shows a max of 240, 260, 280 or 300? They all give you the same info, they just have a different max reading.

I hope this answer didn't add to the confusion.

Thanks for the response. The gadget I was going to fit isn't actually a gauge in the strict sense of the term. Rather it is a device that is bolted into the side of the airflow pipe and when a pre-determined level of restriction is reached, it triggers the device and a bright red section pops up in a window of the device. This is supposed to point out to the operator/driver that the air filter needs changing. The trouble is that if the value is too low, then the device can supposedly be triggered just by hard acceleration.

I agree that a proper cab-mounted gauge would be the preferrable device to fit.....and 30"h2o would suffice for that job; it's just measuring the vacuum I guess.

a4stargen
06-17-2009, 08:41
I understand now...... I was thinking more along the lines of an actual guage. I would shoot for the 20" guage if it is just a good or bad type of indicator. You definately want to know that your filter is that dirty before you get to 30" of restriction. The 20 will let you know that it is pretty much time to replace your filter, but still give you a week or two to get to the parts store.