PDA

View Full Version : How-to notes , Dual T-Stat Retrofit

tommac95
06-17-2009, 06:45
Greetings -
I'm planning to install the '97 cooling upgrades on my '95K3500, (while i have things opened up for a FIP and timing set renewal).
I recall from previous readings that the alternator bracket would require some grinding, to accomodate the larger crossover.
Can anyone refer me to a thread - or one of the TDP publications - which might include hints , like whether the fuel return line needs re-routing , etc. I tried searching , ans found good advice justifying the package of the HO pump + the Dual stats {and fan/clutch//exhaust , etc!} , but i was looking for an instructional how-to , or some guidelines which might help me avoid replication/duplication.
Thanks , I intent to post this in the members forum , and probably at the Place , as well.
Tom m

Robyn
06-17-2009, 07:32
Howdy

The best way to do it is to get the X over off the truck, clean the gasket surfaces and such and then proceed.

Sit the new dual stat unit on the engine and see just whats going to interfere.

The alternator bracket is a suspect for sure.
The fuel return line that crosses the front of the engine also will need a little tweeking.

If need be the line can be cut and soft fuel return hose can be used to allow for a needed flexible joint.

The top hose may need a support to keep it stable too.

This is an easy swap and most all of what you need to do will be obvious when you sit the new xover on the engine.

Have fun

Robyn