PDA

View Full Version : hydr.lifters

suburbanK-2500HD
06-19-2009, 11:59
Is there any expected lifetime for the lifters.
My truck has 250 000 km now, and i am going to replace the rockers, and shafts so i guess replacing the lifters would be smartest if done at the same time.
Is it risky to change lifters with the heads on. ?
Could parts wander of deep down if i drop a bolt...

Robyn
06-19-2009, 16:18
If they have not been contaminated with stuff like antifreeze or??? they should be fine.

The rockers usually are fine too, its just the guide buttons that get hard and break.

To replace a set of rockers with the heads on is a chore. It can be done but the job is a fishing expedition to get some of the lifters out of the case.

Unless you were having issues I would leave them alone until you do an Ohaul on the engine..

best

Robyn

Robyn
06-19-2009, 16:22
No danger of losing parts

The lifter hold down clamps have the bolts fastened in so the whole assembly comes out intact.

Just be sure to replace the push rods with the copper colored ball to the rocker.

There will usually be a residual copper color on the upper ball even after many miles.
This color may only be on the edges but this is a mandatory thing that they be in properly.

Robyn

john8662
06-19-2009, 22:36
No way would I consider replacing the lifters.

I'd consider removing the cylinder heads and having them rebuilt before considering the lifters. If you're getting ticks and such, it's because of the worn valves and seats, which now are allowing a longer stem length up top, which the hydraulic lifter compensates for.

Removing the lifters with the heads installed is a major pain, and only recommended when you KNOW you have one that is collapsed.

The retainer buttons on the shafts would be the only thing to consider while renewing anything up top. Easy repair that will give you peace of mind, that is, if you already have the covers off (presumably to fix a leak).

J

suburbanK-2500HD
06-20-2009, 13:57
No way would I consider replacing the lifters.

I'd consider removing the cylinder heads and having them rebuilt before considering the lifters. If you're getting ticks and such, it's because of the worn valves and seats, which now are allowing a longer stem length up top, which the hydraulic lifter compensates for.

Removing the lifters with the heads installed is a major pain, and only recommended when you KNOW you have one that is collapsed.

The retainer buttons on the shafts would be the only thing to consider while renewing anything up top. Easy repair that will give you peace of mind, that is, if you already have the covers off (presumably to fix a leak).

J
Ok i understand, then i will skip the lifters for now.
But i think i will change the rocker arms
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1004&d=1226240737

They are a bit worn.
I also going to change the timing chain, as i heard that if worn coulg make sound, and alter timing.

I was thinking of the engine mounts too, since i have had some vibrations i can figure out.
Is it hard to change the engine mounts ?