PDA

View Full Version : Solve this one!

andrewroudny
06-20-2009, 16:31
Hey,

Interesting challenge for you diesel heads out there:

I have a 2000 chevy 3500 cargo van. The engine won't start. Here are the facts:

It started in March of this year (2009) but now won't start after being left in the driveway for a while.

- I have checked and replaced the battery cables.
- I have replaced the glow plug relay.
- I get no glow plug light but the weather is warm (about 70 degrees).
- The batteries are fully charged.
- There's a full tank.
- I have tested the relay contact for the signal necessary to activate the relay but there is no signal (meaning that the relay is not told to turn on the plugs).
- The glow plugs work (I have tested them).
- The van is parked in a slight backward incline (meaning that the nose is higher than the tail).
- The engine cranks great but won't start running.
- I can't smell diesel fuel as I crank the engine.

Fuel pump?

Would appreciate a bit of help with this one! Thanks,
Andrew

pokey469
06-20-2009, 17:07
check fuel shut off valve on top of engine next to pmd. if it gone engine will not get fuel.

andrewroudny
06-20-2009, 17:10
Excellent. What's a pmd?

pokey469
06-20-2009, 17:32
There is a fuel "shut-off" solenoid in the injection pump cover that is energized whenever the ignition switch is ON. The shut-off terminal on the pump cover is closest to the front with a pink colored wire. The solenoid inside the injection pump should "click" whenever the ignition switch is turned on. With the ignition switch left on , remove and replace this electrical connector a couple of times. If you're still not hearing a click, remove the connector and momentarily connect the + side of the battery to this terminal with a length of automotive wiring. If the pump solenoid can now be heard to activate, the problem lies with the ignition switch, the fuse or the associated wiring. remove the gray cover on the top of the engine. Just behind the thermostat cover their is a silver cylinder facing upward with a 13mm bolt head on top, this is the fuel shut off solenoid. The wiring from this solenoid goes to the fuel pump taked about previously. good luck...anymore questions just ask...pokey.

andrewroudny
06-20-2009, 17:35
Cheers man! Thanks. I will try that.

JohnC
06-21-2009, 11:11
The glow plugs should come on even though it's warm...