PDA

View Full Version : How to get out stuck glow plug. 9G's swell because?

Rob4
06-20-2009, 21:18
I recently bought a 1994 6.5 turbo truck with 9G glow plugs. I got a set of 60G's to replace the 9G's but can not remove one of the old plugs. I have tried PB blaster, shocking it with a hammer on the ratchet, and just trying to twist it loose with the ratchet. Nothing. I'm afread if I go any harder the glow plug will twist off. Does anybody have a way to get this guy loose? Will bringing the engine up to operating temperature help any? If I twist it off, it will probably break flush with the block. Will this cause the heating element/tip to be loose and possibily fall into the chamber? Should I just leave it alone, disconnect the wire to it and just run 7 glow plugs? If I leave the 9G in the engine will I run the risk of the tip swelling and doing damage or does the swelling occur only when voltage is applied? Thanks for any help anybody can provide.

DmaxMaverick
06-20-2009, 22:37
Unless you are prepared to pull a head, I suggest leaving it alone, and running 7 GP's. If it hasn't swelled, it won't. This only happens when they are overheated with power to them. Breaking it off from the outside may leave you with a hole you can't plug, and the likelihood of head removal increases. If it has swelled, and/or is about to detach, you can remove the injector and try to get the tip out. I suggest you try this, anyway. A plug with a missing tip is much better than one with a tip that might come off. If it's in there, solid, it should be fine for as long as the engine is in service. Even during very cold starts, it should do fine with 7 plugs. The 60G's will likely need a longer (or multiple) glow cycles to quickly clear the smoke during cold starts. If you have moderate winters, it's probably no big deal at all.

Robyn
06-21-2009, 09:07
I second the motion.

Breaking that little devil off would most certainly mean yanking the head so you could get some serious tools at the thing.

My DaHoooley ran for the two years since I bought it with only 6 plugs lighting the fire.
The front and back wires on the Turbo side were broken off from the connectors and I did not see it until I yanked the engine here a few weeiks ago to do some major repairs.

Truck always started ok (little extra smoke in cold weather but to biggy.

When you screw the plugs back in be sure to use a little never seaze on the threads and the taper seat. Parts stores sell small packets of the stuff for spark plugs.

Usually in a little box on the counter to make it noticeable to patrons :)

Good luck

Rob4
06-22-2009, 10:31
Thanks to both of you for the information. I will leave the glow plug alone and run on seven. I certainly appreciate the information. It gets kinda lonely out working on the truck by myself and not really sure what to do. It's great having you folks from TDP behind me helping me through these things. Thanks again.