PDA

View Full Version : just another injector guy!

entrapment505
06-25-2009, 19:54
My 2002 lb7 had all eight injectors replaced at 59k. I know have 105k and on the road I pulled over at a rest stop and noticed white smoke. when I accelerated in park it blew black smoke and severely clicks on acceleration. I assume this is the injectors right? I drove about a mile to a shop and got it towed home. the scan tool shows two injectors at a different rate than the rest.

Now this is where you guys come in. The warranty ended two months ago I called to dealers and both say it is out of warranty coverage.

I am going to do the r and r myself.

Do I buy new injectors or just Nozzles?

Do I get a cylinder contribution test or just take it apart and manually inspect for further engine damage. and does it sound like I may have worse problems than just injectors?

Any suggestions on replacement injectors?

THANKS TONY

Duramaster
06-25-2009, 20:34
Injectors/ nozzles....... same thing in this engine. Did the shop give you a print out of the injector balance rates? Were they able to determine which injector is causing the fuel knock? Have you tried pouring a whole bottle of Stanadyne in the filter, primed and ran the engine? Believe it or not that does work sometimes. How about remove the filter and dump it out in a clean container. There should be nothing but fuel in it. If there is water and lot's of it, that could be the source of the fuel knock.

entrapment505
06-26-2009, 17:33
They did not give me a print out and they did not even know how to turn off the injectors to rule out the faulty ones. Now that I am home I am going to track down a scan tool I will post the result when i get them.

I have racor fuel/water separator filters with clear bowls. neither have water in them. If it were water that caused the smoke and know what might it have damaged?

Which stanadyne would you suggest?

Thanks again

Duramaster
06-26-2009, 22:31
We sell the Performance Formula. Some of the other people on this forum might have a better suggestion. I don't personally own a diesel powered anything. I just work on the DMAX, 6.5, 6.2 for a living. As far as the water goes, the damage can range. Pump failure, injector failure or no noticeable damage at all.

jbplock
06-27-2009, 07:04
.. I am going to do the r and r myself..

Check out the following link to the Members Area (http://www.thedieselpage.com/password.htm) for an excellent article on LB7 Injector R & R.

LB7 Fuel Injector Replacement - Step by Step Procedure (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/duramax/LB7InjectorReplacementc.htm)

:)

madmatt
06-30-2009, 15:50
yes you want to buy complete injectors and not just nozzles. I say first shop around for a dealer willing to goodwill them. We've done it for trucks 6 months out before.

madmatt
06-30-2009, 15:53
btw i can sell you new injectors for $300 each with a $150 core charge.