PDA

View Full Version : jerky upshifts

lb7lbz
06-27-2009, 07:20
hey all just had the tranny rebuilt in the 01. under normal driving it shifts fine but under heavy acceleration it hesitates to upshift to 2nd and 3rd gear,thye truck hesitates jerks then shifts. just wondering if maybe i have a solenoid hanging up as we didnt replace those so they have 250k on them

Mark Rinker
06-27-2009, 07:37
Hard to diagnose based on a verbal description, but possibly it will get better as the TCM relearns?

What hard parts were replaced? Is there any warranty, if shifts don't improve?

lb7lbz
06-27-2009, 19:10
the kit was a patc allison stage 4 which consists of a triple clutch billet converter, c1 carbon fiber clutch pack, c2 c3 c4 c5 red eagle power pack and a overhaul and gasket set, and both filters. the guy who rebuilt it is a very reputable tranny guy around here and would stand behind his work if something was wrong however i would have to pay someone to pull it or do it myself. basing on the way it drives i dont think its something he did. driven normally the only diff. i can noticeis a much quicker and firmer shift into 5th gear around 50mph. only when i floor it does it hesitate. i also think the tcm may be learning so i'll give it a few days to relearn, however i dont have that much faith in the solenoids at 250k

Slufoot101
07-01-2009, 13:32
My truck dose the same thing under load... when not under load or just normal driving it will do it every now and thin i drive 30 miles a day 5 days a week it will do it maby 1 time week i have 320k on my trans

lb7lbz
07-13-2009, 12:23
i changed out the fuel filter(10k) on it and it shifted a little better but still not right.ordered a valvebody w solenoids complete from suncoast last week should be in tom. and in the truck wed. i'll let u know how it goes.

kaylabryn
07-13-2009, 13:17
You might check to make sure you motor mounts are good to go. I had really odd shifting and kind of a jerky delayed type shift, and from what I can tell it looks like most of it was my broken motor mounts. Truck has 200k on it and might have been its time. I since have gone through the trans and have found nothing that looked BAD, maybe in the torque converter I do not know. All I know is I almost have it back together, took the engine trans and T-case out, did a bunch of stuff at once. I will let you know in a week or so. I would talk to one of the trans gurus around to see what they say. No codes makes it harder to diagnos.

Mike

More Power
07-13-2009, 14:07
I would add that the Allison may need time to adjust to your driving style. Under normal circumstances, it can take a while for the Allison TCM to re-learn.

On the other hand, a performance-oriented Allison can shift a little more firmly than a stocker. My ATS Allison in Lil Red, for example, has firmer shifts, and the TC lockup is also firmer. ;)

Jim

lb7lbz
07-13-2009, 19:13
i thought of the learning curve as well but the truck has almost been driven 2000 miles by now (2 weeks) i wouldnt think it would take this long to relearn. shifting has improved since fuel filter change and the fix of my other prob(bad connection on temp. sender) however i think the valvebody will make it work. i prob. also need a motor mount because when the tranny was out i replaced the trans dipstick.