PDA

View Full Version : Help experts; another 6.5 TD mis-fire

George Schweikle
06-27-2009, 19:50
Here's your challenge for the day: I'm a lurker on this forum with a 1995 Safari Trek 27 Ft. Motorhome, 6.5 TD, 131,000 miles, loaded weight 14,000 lb. I live in Lexington, KY. but am currently in Omaha, Nebraska and towing a car trailer total weight 5000 lb. The MH engine is apparently missing on one cylinder, some black smoke under throttle. Very rough idle but smooths out under way. No check engine light.

Some history:
Turbo replaced at approx 30,000 miles
Injection pump replaced at 111,000 miles.
Two years ago a rocker arm split at the shaft hole and was replaced. Last month the engine again dropped a cylinder. The local shop ran a compresion test and found 100psi on one cyl and 350 on all others and was going to run a leakdown test, but called to say this was not needed since they found the pushrod from the original split rocker had been replaced upside down and wore completely through the rocker. All rockers:and pushrods were then replaced.

Also, water pump replaced last week before leaving on this trip. The vehicle ran fine until after driving through a heavy headwind this afternoon. I drove 60/65 MPH, never at completely full throttle and water temperature never got over 220F (on a good aftermarket guage)

It's Saturday night. On Monday I will call the shop back home to see if they have any suggestions before I try to find a GM/Chevy medium duty truck shop that will work on motorhomes.

I sure would appreciate your opinions: a bad lifter?, failing injection pump? burned valve/piston/ head gasket?. Any particular diagnostic recommendations?