PDA

View Full Version : Iron & Lead ABBYNORMAL in Oil Analysis

Stratosurfer
06-28-2009, 13:05
All,
Regularly sked oil analysis came back with:

IRON: 137
LEAD: 70

All other wear metals, additives, contaminants and oil properties were normal.

I use Amsoil Bypass and Wix spin on filters and the oil is now 14,000 miles down the road in the cycle. I use Schaeffer's 7000 synthetic. The analysis recommends drain oil, refill resample.
I am about 10,000 miles from a bypass cartridge replacement currently. I just replaced the spin on. My thoughts are to drain the oil, keep the filters and resample 3,000 miles later. Any thoughts.
I'm not overly concerned about these abnormal wear metals: should I be?
My Tahoe is almost 22,000 miles on the last sample on normal cycle of spiin on replacement at 12,000 and bypass will be replaced at 25,000, all analyses of the Tahoe have come back Normal: Keep oil in vehicle. The Tahoe does have lower miles than the Sub.
All comments appreciated.

JohnC
06-29-2009, 14:18
How does this sample compare to previous samples? A single reading really doesn't tell much. It's the trend that's important.

Stratosurfer
06-29-2009, 14:45
How does this sample compare to previous samples? A single reading really doesn't tell much. It's the trend that's important.

Last time Iron and Nickel were normal, or bascally w/in the range of normal. I will drain and resample later.

JohnC
06-29-2009, 14:56
Last time Iron and Nickel were normal, or bascally w/in the range of normal.

You need to look at the numbers and see how they compare from sample to sample. You also need to look at the intervals between samples. Are they similar or is one significantly longer than another?

Nickel or lead? Iron and nickel are probably from the rings. Lead is from the bearings.