PDA

View Full Version : front skid plate wore through oil cooler lines

Magnum97
06-28-2009, 14:48
1996 Z71, and just as the title says, my front skid plate has worn through the oil cooler lines. is this common, or do i have something that is bent out of whack.
they do leak at the other end where the crimp fitting is, but in the front they only leak where the skid plate has worn through the crimp.

Hubert
06-28-2009, 16:17
I don't think wear through is a big problem for OEM lines as they are clipped and secured ok. Now if they were replaced or altered it can be an issue. Aftermarket depends on install. I wore through a set of SS braid Hi temp lines because I did not secure against cafe on skid plate too. Not much room to loop up over skid plate and back to oil cooler with out touching anything.

The engine constantly vibrates and good care should be taken to protect lines from touching anything sharp, even a rounded edge, or anything that can cause abrasion with pressure and vibration.

Hose guards and zip tie with purpose to hold secure and allow flex is an open area. In my case the hi temp braided hose was too stiff and had a hard bend that touched the skid plate.