PDA

View Full Version : Stud Girdle musing

David_Jennings
10-25-2003, 12:46
Do they work, and can one put them on without pulling the engine? I have a 99 K2500 that has warranty left on the engine, but the cracking block syndrome leads me to consider selling or reinforcing the engine once the warranty fades. I guess a stud girdle couldn't hurt.

Dimsdale
10-27-2003, 11:02
I think Jim said it was going to be a DP feature at some point, but I don't know how you would test them. Sounds like a good idea, but I would want to know that they actually do something before I tear down the thing to find that it will not help.

Maybe Jamie Avant knows. I think they install them, but not really sure.

David_Jennings
10-28-2003, 17:00
If they are easy to install, it would be worth the price to have the additional protection. The idea seems sound enough. I'll contact the advertiser and see what he has to say.

charliepeterson
10-29-2003, 19:57
They look like they would work but I think the hardest part of the entire job is getting the oil pan out of the way if it's four wheel drive it's tricky.

jspringator
10-30-2003, 17:06
I have one of those in the back of my truck, uninstalled. People that I talk to about this indicate that if my block hasen't cracked in 150,000 miles, it is not likely to crack. Does this sound right? Is this what is referred to as a "seasoned" block?