PDA

View Full Version : Starter?

w6bauer
07-01-2009, 07:45
Went to gas station last night about 5 miles from house, pumped diesel and returned to start vehicle, glow plug lights come on then off turned the key to start position and nothing happened. Headlights went off like they usually do when starter is engaged, nothing from starter or solenoid no clicks or anything. Checked and voltage is coming to starter, tried jumping starter with screwdriver between positive cable terminal to small solenoid switch terminal, nothing. Pulled starter and turned motor a bit tried to jump again with jumper cables and screwdriver, still nothing. I believe it to be the starter or solenoid after this test. Am I correct to assume this? Also grounded starter casing to engine and tried to put power directly to cable from solenoid to starter and still nothing, does this mean it is the starter then since I bypassed the solenoid? Ive had starters go on my gasser burb but never within such a short period, started fine at house, 10 minute drive and five minutes off then she wont crank. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Spent night in truck at fuel station had to leave her their for the day while i go to school.

Will

JohnC
07-01-2009, 09:53
If you grounded the case to the battery - and connected the battery + to the big wire going into the starter and nothing happened then the starter is bad.

Could be a lot of things, but whatever it is it's inside the starter motor case.

DmaxMaverick
07-01-2009, 10:09
As John said, bad starter if it's grounded and batt+ applied to the field lug. But, the solenoid should still engage (click/clunk) with ground/power applied to it. I guess it's possible they both went south at the same time, but the likelihood would need to be calculated by a rocket scientist to figure the odds. It's much more likely a cable, ground, battery terminal or connector problem. Showing 12V is no guarantee of significant amperage available, with ground or power supply problems.

Try testing the starter and solenoid with a known good power source and known good jumper cables. Applying power to only the field lug will only spin the starter motor (no solenoid engagement). Applying power to the solenoid should engage both.

w6bauer
07-01-2009, 12:03
Had starter tested at auto zone after school, it worked, put it back on the truck and its only giving a click from the solenoid now, hit starter motor with hammer and she tried to crank, I'm thinking motor is stopping at a bad spot. I'm taking it back off and getting a new one, not worth My time to mess with.

DmaxMaverick
07-01-2009, 12:11
Still, it sounds like more of a ground, terminal or connector problem, or bad/failing batteries. Not at all uncommon. Most often, it will be a poor connection at the battery terminal(s).

w6bauer
07-03-2009, 13:05
Got new starter installed, still nothing. I looked in shop manual for starter relay location it says under hood fuse panel but there is no relay there. Any help? I tested voltage at ignition A and B fuses, 13 volts at both with key in run position, voltage drops to nothing on ignition A fuse when in crank position but does not fall on ignition b. I know batteries are good, I can now jump starter with screwdriver, it has to be a relay or loose wire in ingnition harness. Need to get it figured out, please point me in right direction.

Will

DmaxMaverick
07-03-2009, 13:27
......or the ignition switch itself. Also not uncommon.

w6bauer
07-03-2009, 13:37
Just had the whole harness on the steering column replaced about 8 months ago at a reputable dealership after an attempted theft that damaged the key cylinder as well as the lock module. Is there a relay for the starter like the manual says? Where would I find it?

captaincrunch
01-31-2013, 15:59
Did you ever find the answer here? Mine did sort of the same thing today. Cranked fine for 8 times today then the last time . . . nothing. No click, nothing.

The "crank" fuse #8 on the side of the dash board is good. Where is the relay or is there a fuseable link somewhere?