PDA

View Full Version : Wont start when hot

quickv6
07-02-2009, 18:47
The old 6.5 fire right up cold runs great. Shut it off after drive and it will not restart till it cools down could be hour or two maybe more. Cools back down and starts right up. I have 2 PMDs one is brand new makes no difference. Glow plugs working fine. Fuel pump wired to run with the key on. Still no start hot. Any ideas???

tommac95
07-04-2009, 19:47
Suggest read the responses to the post "Hot Start Issue" ,by Shikaroka here.

The FuelInjectionPump may be on its last legs. You'd want to check that the fuel filter and LiftPump are OK. Run with more fuel in tank , add some used motor oil (clean, from a gasoline engine crankcase) to the mix, will increase viscosity.

Then the FSD/PMD may also be at issue ... , they don't like it hot!

quickv6
07-12-2009, 12:15
PMD is all good. Its new and been relocated. Going to add some ATF see if that helps. If it does guess it would be the injection pump.

BamaChief600
07-12-2009, 21:18
I had the same problem. I would carry a gallon of water and pour it on the head and it would cool enought to start. I changed the IP and it purred like a kitten.

quickv6
07-19-2009, 07:36
ATF and two stroke oil did not help at all. I am going to try the water trick. Looks like the IP is bad not other excuse

Robyn
07-19-2009, 19:20
The fuel shutoff solenoid may be suffering in the heat and failing to actuate.

(Little unit that stands up on the LH front of the IP.)

Make sure when it wont go that the solenoid is clicking. Listen and or feel to see if its working.

A bad lift pump will likely not cause this issue.

Good luck

Missy