PDA

View Full Version : A-pillar triple gauge pod

99gmccrew
01-25-2004, 20:39
Anybody have any good tips for installing a triple gauge a-pillar pod. I have my sending units installed for the trans temp,egt,and boost.
It really helped to read other posts on where to install probes. I'm a little unsure about how to mount the pod. I'm wondering if Ill mess up anything by drilling into my a-post. Thanks
Steve

dieseldummy
01-25-2004, 20:58
If you don't feel comfortable driling holes in your pillar, you can use a good double sided tape to hold the gauge pod in place. Other than cosmetic damage if you remove the gauges there should be no problem installing it by drilling and using the plastic pieces supplied with the pod.
Justin

99gmccrew
01-25-2004, 21:10
Justin, did you run your wires inside the a-pillar?
Steve

gerry1
01-25-2004, 21:47
On mine the wires run between the metal pillar and the gauge pillar. I opted not to put my EGT on the pillar due to the connectors and the limited room in the pods. I could have modified the harness, but decided to use a dash mount instead.
Good Luck
Gerry

TurboDiverArt
01-26-2004, 03:19
Who makes a triple?

Thanks,
Art.

96ccdd
01-26-2004, 08:48
CHECK THIS OUT
http://hp.autometer.com/products/mounting_solutions/pillar_truck/pillar_truck.html

dieseldummy
01-26-2004, 10:00
I ran all of my wires between the pod and the a pillar. It was a little tight with the leads for the three gauges and all the light wires, but with a little persuasion it all fit together nicely. The only problem with this is if you don't get everything just right there will be a small gap betweent the pillar and pod. It isn't a problem except at night when the lights in the guages are on, then it will shine through onto the winshield and create a problem with visibility.
Justin

HowieE
01-26-2004, 10:38
It is a lot easier to remove the pillar cover and feed the wires up between the pillar cover and the frame. There is lots of room once the pillar cover is removed. To remove the pillar cover reach up just over were your shoulder would be while seated in the truck and pull down on the pillar cover. This will releace the clip at that point and the pillar cover will flex enough that you can remove it from under the cowling to the rear. Use 2 hands to control the flexing to just enough to remove the cover. Once you have the pillar cover released at the rear you can pull the remaining to clips free by pulling the cover off using 2 hands.
Before removing the pillar cover position your new pod on the pillar and get an idea of were the guages will sit with respect to the cover. Take a marker and by going through the guage holes in your pod mark each guage location on the pillar cover. You are interested in were the back of the guage will meet the pillar cover because that is were you will most likely have the cut the pillar cover for wires and guage clearance depending on the deapth of your guages.
Fish your wires up reinstall the pillar cover feeding the wires out at each guage. Install the guages in the new pod and with someone holding the pod in approx. position wire the guages. Position the pod and drill 3 holes through the pod and pillar cover and your done.
An easy location to pick up your instrument lighting circuit is by removing the 1 1/2 X 5 in piece just to the right of the instrument panel. This panel may of may not have some GM switches on it depending on your options. It just pops out. You should see 2 connector behind this panel and the larger one will have a light gray wire. Check this wire for instrument lights.

Uncle Wally
01-26-2004, 14:43
If your going to put your EGT gauge in the pillar, I would nix the idea of double stick tape. The EGT gauge is the heaviest (at least mine is), by a considerable amount. Having gravity work on the tape along with bounce and jounce, I don't think it would stay there long. I have a dash mount pod that uses velcro and I haven't been able to get it to stay where I mount it. And gravity isn't even pulling on it. It eventually moves and falls off. I've tried several different manufacturers of velcro tape. I think the heat from the sun plays a large portion. I just don't have the heart to drill into a mint dash.

Waldo

KingNuzz
01-26-2004, 16:22
Who has a tach that would fit in triple pillar pod? Looking to set up EGT, Boost & Tach.

99gmccrew
01-27-2004, 08:56
Thanks guys, this was very helpful and I appreciate your comments. For those interested I was able to find all the gauges and pod on E-bay.There is a guy who will sell you all the gauges and pod in a package deal, but I was able to get it cheaper by ordering them separarely. Always trying to save a buck!
Steve

borjan
02-03-2004, 01:51
Check this:
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/borje.jansson/images/dualgauge.jpg.
The cables are run behind the plastic A-pillar, not to much space and I hope the backlight lamps will last forever!

TurboDiverArt
02-04-2004, 04:18
Originally posted by 99gmccrew:
Thanks guys, this was very helpful and I appreciate your comments. For those interested I was able to find all the gauges and pod on E-bay.There is a guy who will sell you all the gauges and pod in a package deal, but I was able to get it cheaper by ordering them separarely. Always trying to save a buck!
Steve Hey Steve,

Do you happen to have an email address, site or ebay link for this guy? I'd like to have an EGT, Boost and Trans Temp gauge in the pod.

Thanks!
Art.

TurboDiverArt
02-05-2004, 03:14
Originally posted by TurboDiverArt:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 99gmccrew:
Steve Hey Steve,

Do you happen to have an email address, site or ebay link for this guy? I'd like to have an EGT, Boost and Trans Temp gauge in the pod.

Thanks!
Art. </font>[/QUOTE]TTT

99gmccrew, do you happen to have a contact address for the guy you purchased the 3-pod gauge setup from?

Thanks
Art.
artpaltz@optonline.net

computer monkey
02-05-2004, 05:32
go here http://www.dieselpage.com/bnkmount.htm to look at guages and mounts, also fuel filters. They have been a good company to deal with.

TurboDiverArt
02-05-2004, 11:58
Originally posted by computer monkey:
go here http://www.dieselpage.com/bnkmount.htm to look at guages and mounts, also fuel filters. They have been a good company to deal with. Unfortunately the only triple A-Pillar gauge mount they list is for the 2000-2003 D-MAX. I'm interested in a triple for my 1999 Sub.

99gmccrew apparently found someone that sells a triple for a 1999.

Thanks,
Art.

computer monkey
02-05-2004, 12:59
I have a 1998 Suburban and bought their triple gauge mount. Should be the same on a 1999 Suburban. 1988-98 Full Size, 2" Triple Full Pillar

moedog
02-05-2004, 16:43
GO TO EBAY, PARTS AND THEN CUMMINS. I BOUGHT MY THREE POD WITH FUEL PRESSURE,EGT AND PYROMETER AND ALL WIRING FOR 285.00. HE JUST ORDERED FOR MY CHEVY INSTEAD OF DODGE POD. IVE NEVER SEEN THEM CHEAP AS THIS AND I AM HAPPY WITH QUALITY. SAME MANUFACTURER AS GALE BANKS

TurboDiverArt
02-05-2004, 18:45
Originally posted by moedog:
GO TO EBAY, PARTS AND THEN CUMMINS. I BOUGHT MY THREE POD WITH FUEL PRESSURE,EGT AND PYROMETER AND ALL WIRING FOR 285.00. HE JUST ORDERED FOR MY CHEVY INSTEAD OF DODGE POD. IVE NEVER SEEN THEM CHEAP AS THIS AND I AM HAPPY WITH QUALITY. SAME MANUFACTURER AS GALE BANKS Do you happen to have a link. I searched for Cummins parts but came up empty on gauge pods.

Art.

99gmccrew
02-25-2004, 21:45
To find the gauges and triple pod on e-bay, you click on car and truck, then gauges, then once your in that category do a search for triple gauge pod and scroll through the items. you can narrow the search down by typing ,chevy triple gauge pod, but you may not get as many choices.
Hope this helps. (I installed mine and I'm happy with the results and price)
Steve

99gmccrew
02-25-2004, 21:54
I was also able to find the pod on e-bay by searching for, diesel gauge pod. This search came up with the egt,boost and trans temp package for 285.00. It came with autometer gauges which I think are good quality gauges.
Steve

TurboDiverArt
02-26-2004, 03:55
Thanks for the info. I actually just ordered an X-Monitor from Heath diesel (boost, trans, EGT). I should get it soon. A little more expensive but its dash mounted and I think I'm going to be happier with the smaller profile.

Thanks again for all your help.

Art.

dhherrmann
02-26-2004, 07:56
Recieved my 3 gauges and gauge pod from the duramaxstore.com, best price I could find and exemplary service ( switched a offered 0-30 psi boost gauge for a 0-30 vac./0-30 psi boost gauge by the same company that wasn't offered. ) http://shop.ivalueinternet.com/duramax/index.cfm/action/shop_by_subcat/category_id/138.htm