PDA

View Full Version : still looking for a 6.5TD

jpaitala
12-02-2003, 21:23
I'm still on a hunt for a truck.
What would you guys think of '96 4*4 burb that has 203000 on the odometer, the truck is otherwise real clean. IP changed, shocks, brakes / ABS-system, steering, batterys, tires all changed.
This truck has had many problems in the past, so I think it's kinda "monday" version...
Should I go for it or keep just waiting. Good truck are hard to find here.

The other option at the moment is '96 GMC Dually 4*2, it has 98000 at the odometer and has IP changed and is real clean otherwise. My fiancee thinks that the dually is too big for our daily needs and too big to fit into the garage.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

jpaitala
12-02-2003, 23:02
Would any of you guys buy a 2wd dually in the northern states where the winter is a real winter with lots of icey roads and lots of snow?

Scottpearce
12-03-2003, 06:44
I live in West Central Pennsylvania, we have our fair share of wintery weather here, and I have a 93 crew cab dually 2wd. Only time you might have trouble is starting out on a hill in deep snow, other than that, keep it moving and it won't get stuck.

rjschoolcraft
12-03-2003, 07:18
I've come to the conclusion that I don't want another 2wd truck. I have a 1967 C10 Chevy, a 1972 K10 Chevy and the 95 Suburban K2500. I've driven the C10 more than 100,000 miles. My dad bought it new and passed it on to me about 10 years ago. I've done a lot of modifications to it... power disk brakes on the front, upgraded the front suspension, late model power steering, converted to 5-lug rear axels, factory helper springs on rear, built 350 4-bolt main engine, overhaul of the TH400 transmission... truck runs great. But it is still a 2wd truck. It's like a beached whale off road when hauling fire wood. Without at least 200 lb. in the bed, it will not move on snow. My suggestion is go for the 4wd Suburban.

rlvelin
12-03-2003, 09:23
I second Ron's opinion of 2wd in snow. While it is possible to get around on snow or ice with weight in the bed and/or studded tires, it's a whole lot easier and safer with 4wd. Especially here where there is usually a fair bit of fresh snow or snowpack and many hills with stoplights, stopsigns and others with 2wds coming backward down a hill while in a forward gear. It's alot nicer to just be able to start from a stop on or off a hill and not have to spin your tires and fishtail for a while to get going or get a run at it.

Cowracer
12-03-2003, 10:50
2wd duallies with open rear-ends are WORTHLESS in the snow. Even with 800 lbs of ballast in the back, it wouldn't pull a sick kitten out of a litterbox.

My 4 door dually is my daily driver. I like it and can handle it easily, but the wife refuses to drive it at all. Having one as a daily driver takes a bit more "planning", especially when parking it.

Tim

jpaitala
12-03-2003, 11:27
The dually has a locking differential, so that should help...?!?

wilpulu
12-03-2003, 15:36
If you do any amount of driving in the snow, even just a little, you are going to regret having to drive the 2wd in those conditions. It only takes one time to come around a corner and blip the throttle only to launch the rear-end of the truck right around. This can happen with a 4X4 also but it is hands down much safer. I could have my buddy post on here how many times I have had to push/pull his 2wd ext. cab out. I'm thinking he would be too embarrased. Good luck!

tswartos
12-03-2003, 15:38
naw ...makes it worse

I grew up in South Dakota...40mph sub zero temps driftng snow...my first car was 67 Camaro with positraction...start out in 3rd gear most of winter. A suburban does nicely as more weight is in the rear and a pickup without 4wd is useless in a winter storm or on hills. I believe you would be happiest with a 4wd vehicle with the weather u have there. Wanna buy my truck...4wd and 80,000 miles ;)

http://www.thedieselpage.com/readers/swartos.htm

Turbine Doc
12-03-2003, 15:57
Tim,
What do you figure shipping to Finland would be, you might have a sale barring that. :D I've owned both 2wd with locker and now 4x4 which I don't use often, but night and day difference between locker and 4x4 if you need it you need it.

My locker equipped 2wd had power to either 1 wheel or the other whichever had best traction and sometimes both would grab, empty bed almost like and open diff, put weight in the bed it was okay but you need offroad tires to get max benefit, but if the front end got in a hole, the back could not crawl out of a hole both backs would spin, add the weight of a Diesel on the front axle in a hole and back will have less traction capability.

Now a locker equipped 4x4 all together even better, most off road articles I've read 4x4 with rear locker is sufficient for most, serious off road; locker front and rear is ultimate set up but driveability and driveline life can suffer.

[ 12-03-2003, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: tbogemirep ]

posh1943
12-03-2003, 18:19
how about 1995 gmc 4x4 146000 miles
posh

jpaitala
12-03-2003, 20:42
Shipping a dually from MIAMI to Finland is 2400$ and suburban is 1800$. I have done my homework already...
I have been thinking of getting a truck from US but it takes almost 2months for the cargo ship to sail here. And I would need to get a hell of an deal with the truck since after I get the truck here the price goes up ~35% because of the taxes. So 15000$ dually would be 23490$ after I get it here and then I would have to build the headlights to match up the finnish law and few other things also. So pretty fast the total price would be something like 26000$. :(

And the "best" thing is that if the truck is never than '96 it cannot be registered here...
Doesn't make any sense!!!