PDA

View Full Version : Towing a Toad

Inspector
07-03-2009, 20:10
We have been on the road now for a couple of weeks. We began towing a toad two years ago with our first motor home. We got the whole set up. A Blue Ox and Even Brake unit with a monitor. Work just fine. Now that we have the Jayco 35GS on a C5500 with Dmax and ally we don't even know its there. I have to turn on the back up camera every once in a while just to make sure that the little red truck is keeping up. One thing that I plan to correct in this regard is that 4" drop hitch that has a slight bend in it. I started out with the set up level and now I have noticed that the reciever portion has bent down so as to allow the tow bar to sag and not be in alignment. The problem is that the reciever portion is tube stock instead of solid square stock. It just isn't strong enough. A good heavy brakeing will, and suspect that is what happened, put to much pressure on the tube. A fix for this will be to either buy a drop hitch with solid stock or cut the tube off and reweld with solid stock. I am in KC MO. and won't have an opurtunity to seek out a manufacturer to replace or repair my hitch as it is the 4th of July holiday. I will probably wait till we are in the Salt Lake area to do a final fix.. We will just take it easy on the way home.
Dennis

rustyk
07-03-2009, 20:34
Have a safe trip, and you're wise to check on things. In the Navy, I adhered to the concept, "You don't get what you expect, you get what you inspect."

Inspector
07-04-2009, 09:23
DW says that I can't relax. I'm always checking this or that. I hate surprises. I did the inspection thing for so many years that I just can't get out of the habit. You don't get a second look with an airplane unless it is a scheduled thing. I guess it is a good thing as I have saved alot of money over the year by catching things before they get expensive.
Dennis