PDA

View Full Version : Strange switch on dash

wings04
07-05-2009, 08:12
Hi guys, again new to the world of the 6.5, this is probably a long shot but here it goes,

I picked p a 93 2500hd reg cab long box, there is a switch mounted on the dash, when I turn the switch on it seems that there is load put on the motor?
when the truck is not running I can hear a "click" of sorts, almost like something is being engaged under the hood..?

Does anyone have any ideas what this might be??

a5150nut
07-05-2009, 10:02
Manual AC switch?

Auxiliary compressor/

Auxiliary welder?

DmaxMaverick
07-05-2009, 10:28
Glow plugs? Lighting? RV power?

wings04
07-05-2009, 11:08
I have ruled out ac, a compressor, there is no wiring for a trailer, no lights,

Maybe glow plugs? would the glow plug light on the dash come on when I flip the switch? it seems to do something even with the key out of the ignition..
whatever it is it certainly draws power, and puts load on the engine..

DmaxMaverick
07-05-2009, 11:16
If it's glow plugs, it may or may not light the WTS lamp, depending on how it's wired. You can check the voltage before/after the switch is thrown, at a GP (don't leave the power on too long, 10 seconds or less). The clicking, regardless of what's being powered, is probably a relay. Are you able to trace the wires?

Also, if this is/was a plow truck, it could be for plow power and/or a beacon. However, if it's pulling a load on the engine, something of significant current draw is still in operation.

wings04
07-05-2009, 11:33
I actually just tried it again, it draws enough power if in the on position prior to start that the batterys slightly struggle to start the truck...?

I am going to try trace these wires.

jeffscarstrucks
07-06-2009, 20:11
If it has what looks like an extra AC compressor it is an air compressor,usually a Ford type. A buddy of mine has these on his farm trucks. Just a thought, JEFF

trbankii
07-07-2009, 07:59
In my house there's this light switch that doesn't do anything. Every so often I would flick it on and off just to check. Yesterday, I got a call from a
woman in Madagascar. She said, "Cut it out." -- Steven Wright

Quite a few possibilities. Hard to say without tracing the wires.

wings04
07-07-2009, 08:49
Ok guys.. tell me if this makes any sense, I traced the wires and well, there is a hot wire going to the ac power terminal,, however does not seem to have any affect on the a/c... what the hell....

rustyk
07-07-2009, 22:29
Well, that pretty much narrows it down to the proton torpedo launcher :D.

Seriously, you'll need to do more research, because if it drags battery voltage down enough to make starting harder, either it's energizing a BIG legitimate current draw or a short.

winemaker
07-08-2009, 09:04
Perhaps the proton torpedo launcher, but I'll bet it's the flux capacitor. If you measure the current draw, I'll bet it's 1.21 gigawatts. It's a Delorean, right?