PDA

View Full Version : Scat Crankshaft?

gvig
07-06-2009, 13:22
I am finally getting around to finishing my rebuild :o on my 95 (the 96 is sold and gone), I want to replace the crank as it has a small blemish that I don't want to risk my engine with. I have decided on a Scat Crank but it is a pricey thing, so my question is this, where is the best place to buy, ie... best price and service :D???

Robyn
07-06-2009, 14:07
Call scat Directly

They are nice folks to deal with and will sell to you.

The scat is a Cast steel crank, Peninsular diesel sells tha Forged steel cranks now. Aout $1000 to your door.

The Scat is about half the cost of the Forged crank.
The Cast steel (9000 series scat) will do fine for a normal 6.5.

Hope this helps.

gvig
07-06-2009, 19:50
Robyn,

Is there any such thing as a "normal" 6.5?? With the plethora of ills we 6.5 people have to deal with just to keep our trusty steeds running, I have banished the term normal from my vocabulary.

I like the idea of a cast steel, versus the ideal but way too costly forged. I will follow through on that.

Thanks.

rogers
07-06-2009, 22:45
I also considered a scat crank. I did talk to a guy at the factory and found out that the 6.5 cranks are cast in China. They are then shipped to cali where the journals are milled and polished. I bring this up not to discourage you, but just to make you aware. Some people will not run Chinese castings in their trucks if you gave it to them for free. If you are OK with it then I think that's fine. I had a crank grenade on me last year, so I went with the Penninsular crank just to be safe (I hate being stranded). Money talks a good argument though and for half the price a scat crank is probably just fine.

Robyn
07-07-2009, 07:05
The Scat 9000 cranks I believe are cast here.
There are however a buttload of others that are made over seas.

The stuff that Clearwater sells are cast in china and machined here.
Heads , cranks, blocks, etc.

The news is this, Scat has been around a long time and they have a good track record as far as I have heard.

I have used their stroker cranks in BBC's before and had great service.

Just so much stuff on the market that its very hard to tell who is in bed with who.

I agree, the forged crank would be sweet, and I was looking hard at one, but the $$$$$ for a daily driver/grocery getter is hard to swallow.

The one thing about the Scat crank is this, it has zero hours on it.

I chose to salvage the crank from my DaHoooley's engine as it was still in good shape.

A Normal 6.5, HMMMMMMMMMmmmm a play on words.

As Jim (More Power) and I have spoken of many times, the only stuff we hear about 6.5's is the bad stuff.

Of the many many thousands of these engines that have been built and sold, the numbers of them that have run a good long trouble free life is enormous.

Normal is a very ambiguous term.

Almost nothing in the auto industry world wide has ever enjoyed a totally trouble free life span.

The Chevy Mouse motor (265--350) would probably come the closest.
Simple and reliable.

The one thing that plagues all newer designs is the constantly evolving EPA emission standards.

If a design could be prefected and then run for many many years without major changes, the issues would be worked out.

In todays market the manufactures barely get a design up and running and it has to see radical changes, just to keep up with EPA/envirofreek rules.

Its a wonder that anything works at all.

The 6.2 was a hardy little workhorse and powered a lot of GM rigs way deep into the 200-350K mileage arena.

The early 6.5's with the DB2 injection system did well too.
A few broken cranks and some blown head gaskets, but they were not dropping like fly's.

We never hear the good stuff as the fellow with a Burb or pickup that gets up in the morning every day and his rig runs sweet and for a long time, never stops by to tell us about it.

We only hear the news when its laying in a smoking heap with a puddle under it. :eek:

There is no such thing as NORMAL anything when it comes to an automobile.

I heard all the crowing years ago about the Power Stroke, Yeah right. I bought one and it was the Biggest POS I had ever owned.

Always broke down.

I never did get to tow my horsie trailer anywhere that the truck did not give some trouble.

After 2 years I offed the beast and went back to the GM rigs.

OMG I wish I had bought a little Freightliner toy hauler instead of all the POS pickups.

Normal, can't get there from here my friend.

Get a Scat crank and build your little critter. :)

Robyn

JohnC
07-07-2009, 10:10
...I have decided on a Scat Crank but it is a pricey thing, ...

... Peninsular diesel sells tha Forged steel cranks now. Aout $1000 to your door.

The Scat is about half the cost of the Forged crank...

You call that expensive? Expensive is $2000+ for a 4 cylinder 200CID aircraft crank, or $7500 for a 6 cylinder 540, and don't even ask about the 8 cylinder 720!

;)

convert2diesel
07-07-2009, 10:25
You call that expensive? Expensive is $2000+ for a 4 cylinder 200CID aircraft crank, or $7500 for a 6 cylinder 540, and don't even ask about the 8 cylinder 720! ;)

And we wonder why there's no small aircraft industry. Does Lycoming still make the 720? Loved that engine. Did a one off 720 conversion on a Piper Chieftan 30 or so years ago. The STC for that ran to over 30 pages.:eek:

Bill

rogers
07-10-2009, 11:50
The Scat 9000 cranks I believe are cast here.
There are however a buttload of others that are made over seas.
the news is this, Scat has been around a long time and they have a good track record as far as I have heard.
I have used their stroker cranks in BBC's before and had great service.

Robyn

This is the e-mail I got from Scat when I requested some info. Again, I am not trying to slander the Scat reputation, I just think people should have all the information before they make a decision. Also, i don't like being dismissed as not knowing what I'm talking about. I do my home work same as the rest.

So, the news is this (straight from the horses mouth):

The only crank we offer for the 6.5 diesel is a cast crank. It is brought in from China, and is finished in house in our Redondo Beach, CA location. Cast cranks are not nitrided, the crank however is cast steel and is 20 – 30 percent stronger than stock.

If I could be of any more assistance please feel free to contact me by email or by phone at (310) 370-5501 and dial extension 121.

Thank you,
http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=568023ef6e&view=att&th=122658ef849d2fb6&attid=0.2&disp=emb&zw
Alex Gonzalez
Crank Sales
SCAT Enterprises, Inc.
(310) 370-5501 EXT.121
agonzalez@scatenterprises.com (agonzalez@scatenterprises.com)

http://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif

http://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif