PDA

View Full Version : bleeding fuel filter

blazerboy
07-08-2009, 21:01
I just replaced my fuel filter and I need to find where the I P fuel shutoff solenoid wire is? It's a 1994 6.5 td.

Robyn
07-09-2009, 07:12
You dont need to unhook the solenoid to bleed things.

Don't crank it to bleed it.

On the RH side of the firewall is a small electrical junction box (above the AC area)

Remove the plastic nuts to gain access.

Inside is a few wires a couple 1/4" power studs a relay and a fuse holder.

The fuse holder is about in the middle.

tweek the little plastic retaining clip and slide the fuse holder and fuse down and out of the holder.

NOW the fuse is a standard spade type fuse that GM has used for many years.

The end where the numbers are on the fuse has a small little slot.
Touch that sloted area to the Hot stud there in the junction box.

The slot allows access to the fuse link inside.

Once the fuse it touching the power stud, the lift pump will run.

Open the bleed screw on the filter and run the lift pump until the filter is full and air free fuel is coming out.

HINT

After bleeding the filter. Open the water drain up front and run the lift pump some more to purge all remaining junk, water and air.

This is all done with the engine off and the Key off.

Once completed, clean up the mess and start the truck as usual.

You may get a few short misses or hicups if any little bits of air are left but usually not.

Trying to bleed the filter by cranking will make a lot of work and a much harder restart.

The bleeder has a niple for a hose, use it,but I would wrap the filter with a good absorbant rag as the bleeder is not perfect.

Usually bleeding off a small coffee cup full of fuel is enough to do the job.

OH the fuel shut off is on the LH front of the IP. Sticks up about 2-1/2 inches and is about an inch in diameter. Has a plug on it too.

Hope this helps

Robyn

JohnC
07-09-2009, 08:40
Also, there is a red wire in (I think) the upper left corner of the ALDL connector under the dash. Apply 12 volts and the fuel pump will run.

blazerboy
07-09-2009, 08:49
Thanks Robyn, it worked great,no misses or hicups.
you're awesome.