PDA

View Full Version : Replace cam&lifters at 126K?

jerry598
07-09-2009, 13:21
Finally completed disassembly of my 95 6.5TD k3500 (due to blown head gasket and concern about bottom end cracks). The engine has 126K miles on it. I use it to haul a pickup camper and occassionally a horse trailer.

I intend to replace the rings & bearings & timing chain. The crankshaft looks OK. But should I replace the cam and lifters? The camshaft journals and bearings show virtually no signs of wear. The lifters & cam lobes show only minor scuffing marks which I would guess are normal. I'd like to get at least another 75-100K out of the engine, more if diesel fuel cost ever comes down.

The block has one small crack (3/4 inch long) along an outer main bolt hole in the #4 inner web. I'll be taking the block to a machine shop about 150 miles away for a Full-torque (Lock&Stitch) insert repair, and to prep the block for rebuilding.

Robyn
07-09-2009, 16:54
Bag your lifters to keep things in order and reuse them.

Unless there was issues I would not hesitiate to use the stuff.

If you are at all worried, stuff in a fresh set of lifters.

Replace the cam bearings after the machine work is done to be sure there is not any crap down in the bearing oil groove.

A word to the wise.

I recommend doing all 6 of the outer bolts on the 3 inner mains.

Its just a great preventive treatment.

I recently did one for a customer on a red 6.2 Block.

Stuff in a fresh set of rings, bearings etc and your good to go.

Make sure the wrist pin bushings are tight though as these have a habit of getting loose.

If the ridge at the top of the cyl is minimal, a light hone with a bottle brush hone and your set.

Cam and crank sprockets (timing) dont wear much so a chain will do fine.

Make sure that the decks are not erroded around the number 1 and 2 cylinder fire rings. They can be cut .010" and the OS head gasket from Felpro will get you fixed.

Heads are a bone of contention. I personally would not spend a dime on a valve grind. A new set from clearwater is $600 to your door and they are fresh with zero time on them.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Robyn

jerry598
07-16-2009, 09:37
Thanks Robyn!
Good advice. The shop is working on the block right now.

They were reluctant to try and fix this one small crack with a Full-torque L&S inserts, simply because they have rarely had occasion to use them, and never before on main bolt holes in a 6.5.

They suggested I find an crack-free block but I asked them to go ahead and do the six inserts as an experiment for me (of course I will have to eat it if it fails down the road).

Twelve bucks per insert and $140 estimated for labor. Not bad. I'll keep you posted.

Jerry