PDA

View Full Version : Belt Tensioner and Serpentine Belt

MikeyB
07-09-2009, 17:18
I have an '01 2500 HD that makes some terrible noises on the first start of the day. It is a squeak/chirping sound. I lifted the hood with the engine running and noticed the belt tensioner pulsing up and down on the belt. (atleast I think that's where the noise is coming from). My plan is to replace the tensioner assembly and the belt. Any other ideas or words of wisdom?

Thanks,
Mike

DmaxMaverick
07-09-2009, 17:39
Nothing special with this. R/R is easy. I do recommend using anti-seize on the tensioner bolt, and the mating surface. You may need to clean up some corrosion, which is the indicator of where the anti-seize is needed. Your noisy start-up is probably a slipping belt, or a cold bearing noise (ready for replacement). Could be the tensioner, idler, or the A/C clutch bearing. Once you get the belt off, it should be easy to ID the suspect. Pulleys should spin smooth and quiet.

My tensioner/belt has been bouncing around since new. The dealer checked it and replaced all the pulleys, tensioner and belt early on (less than 10K on it, no change), and I ran it to over 100K, then replaced again. The old tensioner and belt didn't look any more worn than brand new, other than the polished tensioner pulley surface from use. Still bounces around the same as before, but doesn't seem to indicate any problem.

MikeyB
07-09-2009, 20:08
DMaxMaverick,

Thanks for the reply. Looks like the hardest part will be getting the belt around the fan. Hopefully it will cure my chirp. I am hoping it is just the tensioner, the a/c clutch bearing has an expensive ring to it!

Mike

DmaxMaverick
07-09-2009, 20:19
The belt doesn't go around the fan. DO NOT try to make it. You will just have to undo it, and risk fan/radiator damage in the process. The fan is driven by the backside of the belt, so it just goes past the pulley. Not difficult. Start at the crank pulley and work your way up (taking both sides of the belt past the fan pulley at the same time), following the diagram. Double/triple check to be sure the belt grooves fit into the pulley grooves before tensioning it. Take your time.

Shed
07-17-2009, 14:03
I just replaced my tensioner. The Chevy dealer "diagnosed" it while it was in for a coolant service. Of course they quoted me $350 to have it done right away..... I took it home and did it myself for about $100. Solved the squeeking problem. Good luck