PDA

View Full Version : Transmission fluid and Hoot method.

John L.
07-10-2009, 11:49
When changing over to Transynd or Amsoil, DO NOT TRY AND REPLACE CONVERTER FLUID THROUGH THE HOOT METHOD. There are those that may have done it correctly, but I am not one of them. It seemed easy enough, but I fried my tranny good. It started slipping and going into limp mode shortly after the flush..maybe a month or so...and I had a terrible time trying to tow my toy hauler afterward. To make a long story short, chevrolet replaced it with a ReTran for 100 bucks, and I was and have been VERY pleased with my luck after I feel it was really my fault. You may not be as fortunate and I would hate to see someone have to fork out 4000+ dollars for a replacement.

It's really not worth having to get every last darn drop out during your fluid swap. Just drain, swap your filter...run for a month or so and swap the rest of your 5 gallon pail out.

Good luck...

John

DmaxMaverick
07-10-2009, 12:19
Please explain. What is the "Hoot method", and how does it damage a transmission?

Mark Rinker
07-11-2009, 07:45
http://www.idahodieselpower.com/archive/index.php?t-52.html <<< SOUNDS LIKE A PAIN IN THE @SS TO ME...

My preferred method: Every other oil change (~15K-20K miles)

Remove drain plug and drop ~7qts from warm transmission,
Spin on new external filter (exchanging magnet) and
Refill transmission with fresh ~7 qts.Done. No fuss, no mess, no hooting.

LanduytG
07-26-2009, 17:06
When changing over to Transynd or Amsoil, DO NOT TRY AND REPLACE CONVERTER FLUID THROUGH THE HOOT METHOD. There are those that may have done it correctly, but I am not one of them. It seemed easy enough, but I fried my tranny good. It started slipping and going into limp mode shortly after the flush..maybe a month or so...and I had a terrible time trying to tow my toy hauler afterward. To make a long story short, chevrolet replaced it with a ReTran for 100 bucks, and I was and have been VERY pleased with my luck after I feel it was really my fault. You may not be as fortunate and I would hate to see someone have to fork out 4000+ dollars for a replacement.

It's really not worth having to get every last darn drop out during your fluid swap. Just drain, swap your filter...run for a month or so and swap the rest of your 5 gallon pail out.

Good luck...

John

Absolutely nothing wrong with doing it this way. Hoot was not the first to use this method. You had other issues to start with and just didn't know it.

Greg

More Power
07-27-2009, 09:06
Some owners, especially soon after the Duramax/Allison arrived in 2000, make some maintenance procedures seem more complicated than they really need to be. I agree with Mark, service your Allison by simply draining the pan, spin on a new filter, then refill to proper level.

Unless you're switching to a synthetic ATF or the ATF has been scorched, it doesn't need to be flushed. GM recommends servicing the Allison at 25,000 miles when used in "severe duty" use (heavy towing) or 50,000 miles for typical driving.

Jim

mattb5150
07-31-2009, 20:27
Any thoughts on using Mark's method and topping up the drained out amount with synthetic? I would like to switch over to synthetic and thought that dino and synthetics could be mixed.

Matt

chipper
08-01-2009, 16:01

Good luck...

John

I used it & have had no problems for 65k miles. If you follow the directions exactly, you should have no problems.