PDA

View Full Version : Water Injection Install

6.5 Detroit Diesel
07-10-2009, 18:53
So I finally got a W/M setup. I ordered the unit from Cooling Mist off E-bay. Total cost to my door with taxes and shipping was $420 Canadian.

The kit comes with two nozzles and a digital controller. A similar kit from Snow was quoted to me at a price of $2000. Big difference in price here.

The controller handles up to 80 PSI and can be configured to run of individually MAF, TPS, Boost, EGT, or a combination of them. I'm still figuring out how to combine the EGT's and Boost.

There are two little knobs that control activation and peak pressure. Default setting on the controller is boost activation.

The pump comes set at a maximum of 250PSI and can be adjusted down to 100. Two nozzles come with the kit. A 380CC and a 760CC.

I have everything wired, just don't have the controller actually mounted nicely. Total install time was under two hours.

Using the 760CC nozzle and the pump at 250PSI, the windshield reservoir is way to small. I can go through it in 30 minutes of hard driving with low actuation settings.

I am running blue windshield fluid containt Methyl Alcohol. I have been told that is the same as plain Methanol. I bought a gallon of pure methanol for $7.50. I am thinking a 10-15% Methanol to 90/85% water mix.

Now for roadtesting.

Before this when I wound the speedometer, (140KMH), the truck would hit closer to 1100degrees. Did a few runs like this. The highest I pulled was slightly over 900 degrees. So around a 200 degree drop under WOT. I had in in 4th for close to 20 seconds without it going over 1000 degrees.
Around town driving, the cooling difference isn't really noticeable, as boost actuation is needed. Once I get it set up for EGT's, it will engage at low boost, high egts.

Overall I am really happy with this. I am scheduling an hour on a local dyno in the next few weeks to find the sweet spot. Power difference with the 380 nozzle isn't great. With the 760 in, the difference is very noticeable once boost levels build.

Robyn
07-10-2009, 19:51
Personally I would shoot for a setting of about 8 PSI to bring on the juice.
From 8 to a max of about 14 PSI is a great window to work in.

The juice will for sure as you are seeing, knock the top off the EGT's

Get a nice little 20 Gallon Poly tank and mount in the bed to take care of holding plenty of juice.

Have fun

Missy