PDA

View Full Version : lube u joints?

npauli
07-11-2009, 19:42
My old ford pickups had grease zerks on the u-joints. Went looking for them on this truck and found nothing. How are these lubed?

DmaxMaverick
07-11-2009, 20:12
Serviceable U-joints are generally an aftermarket thing. Most OEM's are non-serviceable. Most all Ford trucks I've had or worked on had non-serviceable joints, when they were known to be OEM. Aftermarkets were hit/miss, so I can't comment on your Ford experience.

After many years of general vehicle maintenance experience (personal and professional), and dozens of my own vehicles, I have come to a conclusion. Non-serviceable U-joints last significantly longer and have less-catastrophic failures than serviceable types. Why? I don't know for certain. Of the endless possibilities, I have a few guesses. 1- Greasing them can, in most conditions, introduce dirt/contaminants into the joint during servicing (dirty zerk or grease gun fitting). 2- The mfg of the joint believing a need for periodic service, due to inferior design or materials. 3- Mixing of grease type/grade/composition (rarely will you find a shop or home garage with the same brand/type of grease originally used). 4- Improper installation (which really has nothing to do with the fitting).

The "Heavy Duty" type joints I buy are generally more expensive, heavier (noticeably, by feel), and have no zerk fitting, compared to other aftermarket options. As far back as I can remember, there has never been any significant issue with OEM joints, but once they are replaced with aftermarket, joints become a regular, more frequent, maintenance item. OEM replacement joints are often 4-8 times the cost of good aftermarkets, so some consideration is warranted. However, if you have money to burn, get OEM and don't look back.

And, to answer your question, "How are these lubed?" You don't. They are much better left alone, and should last a long time, if not the life of the truck's other major powertrain components.

npauli
07-12-2009, 18:37
I like the sound of that!

A) Best results
B) No work required

Thanks for the lesson

More Power
07-29-2009, 09:47
OEM non-serviceable U-joints have better seals. That's an important reason why they last longer. Grease-able U-joint seals must be able to vent excess grease during service, and this presents an opportunity for water and other contamination to enter the bearing cups over time. Also, it's important to run the 4WD system occasionally, which helps distribute the lube in the front U-joints and helps the joints last longer.

Like DM, I too use OEM type U-joints when they need to be replaced. They do cost more, but last a lot longer. ;)

Jim

cowboywildbill
07-29-2009, 17:34
And generaly the u-joints with zerks have hollow centers for the grease to travel out to the ends. And I would think that would make them weaker.