PDA

View Full Version : Engine Locked -What to expect?

atom_c
07-13-2009, 08:00
I was hoping not to ever have to make this post, but here it is. I was pulling my travel trailer back from Brookings, OR up the grade on 199 to the tunnel. I was at 14-15 lbs boost and about 900-950 egts. The temp gauge came up a hair past 210 as I was topping the climb. The low coolant light came on briefly and then went off. I mostly coasted down the descent and all temps dropped to normal. As I got the bottom of the descent and started pulling again the temp gauge spiked and the low coolant light came back on and I noticed the plume of white exhaust. The engine was making a slight whining noise as I shut it off.

It is apparently hydrolocked. I assume I blew a head gasquet. What is my best and worst case outcome at this point? Is it likely that I destroyed the lower end in that short time frame? It had not been using any coolant prior to this. I could do some engine work myself, but I am not sure if I am set up for a complete rebuild myself.

Thanks in advance for all thoughts.

Adam

ToddMeister
07-13-2009, 12:17
Is there any water in the oil? If not then the bottom end might still be usable.

Was the engine cranked after it hydrolocked?

atom_c
07-13-2009, 14:41
I have the truck and trailer back to my house now.

I see no sign of coolant in the oil. The truck was still idling when I shut it down. Upon attempting to restart it turned over about 1/2 revolution and then siezed. In hindsight I should have seen the writing on the wall and not attempted to restart it.

Adam

Robyn
07-13-2009, 15:08
Classic blown head gasket.

Drain the oil and the coolant.

The heads are going to have to come off. Likely number 1 or 2 cylinder has blown to water. High miles ??? Get both heads off and you will likely find the offending gasket.

Make sure the block is not erroded around the fire ring.

If it was still running your probably not hurting too bad.

The issue though is dont try to restart.

Keep us posted as ypu rip into it. Take good high res pix and post if you can.

We can help so dont dispair. :)

Robyn

atom_c
07-13-2009, 21:12
Thank you for the encouraging words. I will begin tear down tomorrow and will keep posting questions/findings.

Adam

rustyk
07-13-2009, 21:57
Yup, head or head gasket; when you shut the truck off, the pressure in the cooling system exceeded that in a cylinder, and forced coolant into it. That won't get coolant into the oil.

Probably caused no additional damage, however.

atom_c
07-29-2009, 17:06
I got back from a trip to Baja and finally got the passenger side head off. It looks like the head gasket blew out in the front of #2. The #2 and #8 have a hairline crack between the valves. All the precups have a small crack. The #8 precup crack goes right up to the fire ring. This is also the head that I sheared off the #8 glowplug which still will have to be extracted.

I would/will post pictures, but where did the damn camera go when I need it? I am tempted to just buy two rebuilt heads and hope for another 100k out of the truck. Any thoughts?

And did I mention it is HOT outside!!! I wish I was in a better "shade tree" position.

Adam

atom_c
07-29-2009, 22:43
Now I am getting bummed. I took a better look at the engine and found a vertical crack that appears to be in the cylinder sleeve of # 8. Is this something that can be re-sleeved assuming the rest of the block is not cracked? Also, was this crack already here for some time or did it probably crack when my head gasket went?

Here is a photo http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2897576020084810539CrmLea

ToddMeister
07-30-2009, 07:49
I think you now have a large heavy paperweight.

jasondmann
07-30-2009, 15:36
My truck looks almost exactly the same. I cannot find a decent used engine, and a new or reman long block is very expensive. I'm taking a major loss on my truck. I hope you have better luck than me.

trbankii
07-30-2009, 17:37
Put it back together enough that it runs and do the Cash for Clunkers thing with it?

atom_c
07-31-2009, 05:59
I just heard this morning that if you don't already have the paperwork in, the Cash for Clunkers program is full. I don't know the details. Probably not an option for me.

I am having a bit of a debate with my wife about what to do next. Neither of us want to take on 20,000 more debt for a newer truck, probably a Duramax or Dodge crew cab (my girls are getting bigger). My wife has almost a phobia against owning vehicles that are getting to a point where they are likely to break down so she is leery of me buying a rebuilt engine for the 6.5 without strong assurances that everything will be fine. Assurances I am reluctant to give, who knows what could go wrong next.

My truck was running well overall. It had new injectors and glow plugs last year. I had the front brakes completely redone days before the engine went pooey. It has no rust and the body, bed, and interior are good. I don,t have the old engine pulled yet, but almost everything is off of it so it shouldnt be too much to pull it.

Any thoughts? How many of you have put in a rebuild at about 140k and had it run fine to 250k?

Next question is what long block for around $4000 delivered? I was leaning toward one from 6-5liter.com. They have a "new improved" block and heads they claim are not made in China but in Canada. Anyone know anything good/bad about 6-5liter.com? I also noticed Johnson Engines in the advertiser's section and gave them a call.

Thanks,
Adam

PS my wife is wondering what Robyn thinks we should do. She is most impressed that there is wrenching chick on this forum!!