PDA

View Full Version : Left me walking, PMD?

dieselrealtor
07-16-2009, 14:43
Driving the burb on my way to a closing, took off from a light then it throttled by itself at 50-75%, then started surging, throttle, idle, throttle, idle blowing black smoke when in throttle mode.

Then died, it would start but then die immediately. Now won't start.

$99 tow bill home.

PMD?

Thanks in advance.

markelectric
07-16-2009, 20:12
Codes??????????

dieselrealtor
07-17-2009, 04:37
no codes.

I kind of wondered if it would start after cooling off overnight,
nope.

ToddMeister
07-17-2009, 06:02
Could be the injector pump (fuel solenoid),PMD or wiring/ECM issue.

Also make sure lift pump is working properly, and check fuel filter.

In the members area, check out the 6.5 troubleshooting info:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/tt99-9.htm

JohnC
07-17-2009, 08:16
If there are no codes (read them, don't go by the check engine light) then most probably it is the PMD, but first verify you're getting an adequate supply of clean fuel to the injection pump.

dieselrealtor
07-17-2009, 08:21
no codes, I have a cheap actron scanner but it works.

I replaced the fuel filter about 5k ago, I am going to dive in tomorrow morning, trying to get my ducks lined up.

I think I am going to order a pmd & extension harness, I have been thinking for about a month that I should get one just to keep in the truck, should have listened to that little inner voice.

dieselrealtor
07-18-2009, 08:50
Checking things over this morning, it has that "burnt electrical component smell" around the injector pump area.

New pmd, extension harness, heatsink & #9 resistor on the way.

Is it possible to disconnect the existing one without pulling the intake?
If so, is there anything wrong with leaving the old one on the pump?

Thanks.

Yukon6.2
07-18-2009, 09:09
Hi
Yes you can disconect without removing intake,and nothing wrong with leaving the old one on the pump.I just did my brothers truck,i used a long rod to catch on the locking tab of original harness.You will need to thread it between a few hoses and wires,the rod i used was 5 ft long,you need 1or 2 ft long,took all of 5 min to disconect and fish out the plug,his had daul thermostates,which really hide the PMD.Once you have the rod on the locking tab just push it towards the rear of the truck gently till it disconects from PMD,be carefull not to break the tab.After that the hardest part is deciding where to mount the heat sink.Overall time to do the conversion was about 1/2 hr.Took care of his masive overreving problems.
Have fun Thomas

dieselrealtor
07-20-2009, 14:15
Got the new Stanadyne PMD & remote mount kit, still won't start.

It is getting plenty of fuel through the filter, put a tube on the bleeder & with the key on for about 4-5 seconds, filled up half a bottle & made a mess, I can't seem to get it "just" in the bottle with this, leaks around the black plastic tightener.

I thought the injector pump had been replaced under warranty but reviewing the history, the PMD (not IP) was replaced once around 60k, again around 80k & now at 160k.

One thing to note, the wife said the service engine light has come on from time to time but didn't stay on for long.

Injector pump?
thoughts?

Anyone had an experience with dieselcare on ebay? They have a reman pump for around $500 shipped.

Are all the DS-4 pumps compatible or do I need a specific part #?

Thanks.

joed
07-20-2009, 14:52
A couple of thoughts:

Have you checked all the fuses, specifically ecm a & b or 1 & 2 (can't remember what they're labeled)?

Also, is the fuel shutoff solenoid (long cylinder at front of IP) getting power and clicking when you turn the key on?

Joe.

dieselrealtor
07-20-2009, 14:57
fuses are all good,
I will check the fuel shutoff solenoid for clicking now that the wife is home.

dieselrealtor
07-20-2009, 17:01
Solenoid clicks clicks, I can feel it & slightly hear it. I can hear it well with a stethescope.
I beleive it is leaking slightly.