PDA

View Full Version : To do or not to do

denverdale
07-16-2009, 20:10
What is the advantage or disadvantage to trading up from a 2002 durmax to a 2009 durmax?

Those of you that have been there and done that may be able to help me make a major decision.
My 2002 needs $5000 worth of work including 4 new injectors on one side and possibly a new set of gears in the read differential.
My thought is to throw the $5000 into the new one, but how do the 2002 and 2009 compare?

Thanks, as always, for your input.

DenverDale

markelectric
07-16-2009, 20:22
I would go and get a handfull of Dodge literature and then lay it in front of the service guy as I was asking for the warranty on the injectors. Remind him both companies are govt owned and tell him they seem to want you in a dodge

He can do the math from there..........

Duramaster
07-17-2009, 05:49
The first thing you won't like is the fuel mileage of the 2009. The second is it takes some getting use to the new hood. It is not sloped like the 2002 so it takes some getting use to. Some people don't like the interior for what ever reason. It does have that plastic feel to it, but the interior of your 2002 felt the same when it was new too. :)

richp
07-17-2009, 13:40
Hi,

I traded up from a 2001 to a 2009, in virtually the same configuration. There are things I like and things I don't like at all.

I have 9,500 miles on it so far, about 1/3 of which is towing. (Another 1,500 miles of towing coming up next week.) It pulls my 12,500 pound fifth wheel like it isn't there, and power unchipped seems equivalent to (or better than) my '01 with a Juice. The six speed Allison with the shift control on the gear stalk is simply great. Those are the heavy positives.

Here's the more or less neutral stuff. The new body style is OK, but not great. If you have a topper, the old one will fit, but not very well. (Leer and other suppliers will tell you they don't fit.) The stock sound system is OK, and the dash controls generally are OK (but it won't take a USB device like Dodges will. I have not as yet seen a commanded regeneration -- or if it's done it, I sure haven't noticed. I guess my driving patterns generate enough exhaust heat that I haven't needed it so far. Fuel consumption (tracked manually) so far has been about one MPG lower than on the '01, but it really isn't broken in yet. I think in the long run they will be pretty close to the same on fuel use.

There are some things I think are downsides -- and I was just reciting them to my Chevy dealer this morning. The passenger compartment is smaller than in my '01 -- no question there is less room in the new truck, and less room than in the competition. There is no key on the passenger side door, so if you don't use the push button gizmo, you can't unlock from that side. If you don't use the button gizmo, and don't lock the doors a certain way, the alarm system goes off when you open the door with your key. The reset button for the odometer is in a clumsy location. The light for the control for the air conditioner is puny and hard to see. The body has been raised, making it harder for my wife to get into, but there was no corresponding gain in ground clearance underneath -- something I've griped about for years. The fuel filter is harder to get at to change than in the '01. The driver's seat adjuster does not allow the seat to tip all the way forward, so you can't get at the stuff behind the seat without moving the whole seat forward on its track. And because the passenger compartment is not as large front to back, folks like me with long legs can't stretch quite as much, and also can't get as much of an angle on the seat back as on the older model.

But life is full of trade-offs. I got a screaming deal on the new one, and I wanted a new vehicle before the urea injection system was required. So on balance, I'm glad I did it.

Hope this helps.

denverdale
07-17-2009, 14:29
Rich
Thanks for the reply. You brought up some items I had not looked at. Since I am vertically challenged, I usually don't have the seat set back to far.

The cab - front to back- is actually longer than my '02. The interior, from what you say must be smaller. The truck overall is about 2" longer than my '02.

I need to go back and play with all the controlls more now that I am getting more serious about trading.

The issue with the urea infection is also a BIG consideration.

I pull a 2005 31RLS Jayco 5th wheel and running about 65, I generally will average around 12 MPG. From what I have read on several forums, I may not come close to that with the new truck. What mileage do you get towing your 5th wheel and also driving in town?

I talked to Chevrolet customer service today and requested some assistance on the cost of the new injectors since I was just over 30 expired on the 7 yr limitation for the injectors. They are supposed to call me back Monday or Tuesday. I explained that I had noticed a loss or power in May so I feel the injectors had failed prior to the 7yr anniversary. I was late getting in to have it diagnoised though. I don't expect them to pick up the whole thing, just 80 to 90% would be great.

Thanks again for the insight.

DenverDale

MacDR50
07-17-2009, 15:16
Mine is a 2008. With a 38ft 5th in tow in very hilly terrain (not mountains) at 60-65 I averaged 9.5 MPG(US). Everyone has their own way of deciding but from a pure $ point of view if the annual operating cost including amortizing the initial cost over the expected life of the vehicle is less than the annual operating and repair cost of the existing one then overall you are in money. Of course there is no way of valuing the "fit your butt" wear-in of the driver's seat that a familiar truck has. The again shiny new is shiny new (sigh).

Runaway_Dmax
07-22-2009, 19:03
I traded an 03 for an 08 . After going 110, 000 miles I had continueing injector problems and decided the money being spent on injector replacement that wasn't covered by the so called warranty was better spent on a new truck. the 03 was EC/LB w/juice. The 08 is a CC/LB stock. Both trucks have been pretty close in mileage both in towing and empty. though I never had one of those LB7s that got the 22+ figures. Mine was alway around 19 - 20 and that is what the 08 is finally getting after 25K. Towing my 28 ft 5ver has alway been 10 - 11 mpg range. I feel the 08 rides better, but it does have a longer wheelbase. And I like the added room of the CC. The in dash glovebox of the LTZ is pretty small, but the center console is pretty deep.
I personally like the new body style better, but that is my opinion.

Thr 08 is paid for now, made last payment this spring so I don't think about it anymore. Now you have to decide what's best for you.

Markelectric, do you really think a service writer cares if you trade for a different brand vehicle or fix the one you have...:rolleyes:

denverdale
07-23-2009, 08:53
Well after a lot of research, dickering with the salesman, and consideration of all other things, I decided to have the '02 repaired. In seven years it has only been in the shop for a few days total. I have had 2 injectors replaced under warranty, a leak checked and had the transmission serviced. Not bad for 7 yrs and 83000 miles.
I really wanted to trade but didn't want a $500/month payment. I'll see what comes up on the new trucks in the future.

Thanks to all that have responded to this thread.

DenverDale