PDA

View Full Version : Buy an engine or 2?

Subzilla
07-17-2009, 05:19
Greetings,
I've got a local line on 2 rebuilt 6.2's but I'm not sure if I should take the chance on buying them.

They are military Hummer take-out's and were rebuilt by a professional, I'm told, under a government contract to go back into military vehicles. Something about the deal fell through. The seller was not the rebuilder but ended up with them somehow. He actually has 5 and plans to keep one for himself.

Heads were rebuilt, rings, bearings,..... and they were run on the dyno after the rebuild but have not been installed or run for 4 years. No IP or accessories, just block, heads, valve covers, injectors. He said he could get me the phone number of the rebuilder if I wanted to talk to him.

He wants $300 each.

Good deal?? And will all my civilian accessories transfer over to the military version without problem?

Robyn
07-17-2009, 07:41
Yess all your stuff will fit.

Now for $300 bucks $$$ I would get one and open it up to see whats in there.

Pull the pan, pop a rod and a main cap to have a peek at the bearings.

Yank one head off, pull a couple valves out and have a peek see.
Pull one Piston and rod assembly and have a peek there too.

Total time, a few hours. Cost, one set of head bolts and a gasket.

You then will know pretty well what you bought.

If all seems to fit then stuff the little creature in and let it do what it was made to do. :)

Hope this helps

Missy

BigGun J
07-20-2009, 22:06
You note it is a local sell. Take your engine stand and tell the seller you are comitted to buy but you would like to pull the pan and see inside. If the motor was rebuilt it will have signs of white rebuild lube. Also take a real close look at the main webs for cracks. I bought a freshned up military take out. When I pulled the military pan to install me civi pan it had plenty of white grease but oh so slight main web cracks. Other issues as well. I went ahead and put it my 85 Toyota Landcruiser FJ60 and are loving the performance. After I get some other projects under belt I will pull the motor and have the inserts installed and some other goodies.

Good luck, Jim Three hundred bucks is a good price for a solid long block in my eyes.