PDA

View Full Version : Help Me

mirvin
07-17-2009, 13:31
This is my 1st post, I lurk occasionly, and I have learned alot about my 1996 6.5T diesel by reading here.
This is my question. I had installed a Heath ECM and replaced the FSD, it is currently mounted on the intake.
This is the problem, I pull a 28 ft. fifth wheel toybox with a pair of motorcycles in it that together weigh about 1,000 lbs. I live in Eastern NV. that involves pulling lots of passes the Alt. here is 6500 ft.
The Heath ECM helped alot, the FSD helped, I could pull 10 to 12 lbs boost at about 900 degrees post turbo EGT guage what I mean is I would limit the EGT to about 900 it would not always run that hot. My last trip with the trailor it started acted up when I lost charge from the alt. pulling a onto the highway it started discharging,started blowing black smoke,. and i could only get 4 lbs boost. And the EGT climbed way too fast and one point it briefly reached 1200. I was able to get it home a 2 hr. and 10 min. drive, eng. temp would get to 230 briefly toward the top of a pass, I was able to keep EGT down but would never make more than 4 lbs boost. Never showed a code.
Like a dummy i disconnected the batteries and changed the alt. before putting it on a scanner. The scanner showed no codes, but running a diagnostic with a MAc Taskmaster it showed 11.9 actual pump timing and 1.77 pump close time, and strangely 12lb boost at idle, my boost guage showed 0 lbs boost.
Also this may be the problem? when I installed the new FSD I forgot to install the resister from the old to the new, but the truck seemed to run OK and I soon forgot that my FSD had no resistor. And to make things worse the resistor was lost so when I remembered I didnt have a resitor to install..
Please any body any ideas Thanks in advance Mike

JohnC
07-17-2009, 14:09
Do you have the Heath boost control or are you still using the vacuum system? If the latter, sounds like it's busted.

The PCM reads manifold absolute pressure (MAP), not boost. 12 PSI is actually a slight vacuum, correct for idle. 8 PSI boost would show up as atmospheric pressure (~14.7 PSI) plus 8 PSI, or 22.7 PSI.

mirvin
07-17-2009, 14:41
John C
I still have the vacuum control, but if that was not working wouldnt it show on the scanner?? I f the vacuum system is broke a Heath boost would be a good idea?