PDA

View Full Version : Hot rear differential

computer monkey
02-04-2006, 18:28
What do you guys do to keep your rear ends cool? I have 3:42 gears and pull way over the limit. I use synthetic oil 85-90w and have to change my oil every year plus I had to put axle bearing in a mouth ago at 136k miles. Does the Mag aluminum cover help that much?

[ 02-05-2006, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: computer monkey ]

AndyL
02-05-2006, 17:23
I don't do anything! Are your gears set up correctly, do you have any gear noise?

I am guessing you have the 14Bolt Semi floater, maybe that is just too much for those single axle shaft bearing to handle?

Swap in a 14Bolt full floater! I have a spare sitting in the garage!

computer monkey
02-05-2006, 18:44
Your correct on the semi floater. Everything is factory. No noise that I can hear. The gears looked ok when I pulled the axles to put the bearing in.

Dvldog 8793
02-06-2006, 07:03
Howdy
I use Amsoil lube, and have a mag-hytech diff cover. The main reason for the diff cover was to make it easier to change the lube and the extra capacity. I pull some heavy loads and I like to change the lube out every year. I am thinking you are just over loading the semi-float rear end. Go to a salvage yard and get a 14 bolt FULL floater. I would be willing to bet that will solve any problems you might have.
L8r
Conley