PDA

View Full Version : Bad high pressure fuel pump

deerhunter63
07-22-2009, 07:46
I recently had the high pressure fuel pump replaced on my 2001 D-max because it ate itself alive inside and blew out a plug on the bottom of it which resulted in a massive fuel leak. I was wondering if the new low-slfur fuel might have had something to do with this due to lack of lubricity in the fuel. Should I be adding a fuel additve to counter this? If so, what is a good one. The pump alone was over a grand...I dont want to do that again.

More Power
07-24-2009, 13:21
I recently had the high pressure fuel pump replaced on my 2001 D-max because it ate itself alive inside and blew out a plug on the bottom of it which resulted in a massive fuel leak. I was wondering if the new low-slfur fuel might have had something to do with this due to lack of lubricity in the fuel. Should I be adding a fuel additve to counter this? If so, what is a good one. The pump alone was over a grand...I dont want to do that again.

Fuel quality issues are more often the cause of a failure in the fuel injection system. Not changing the fuel filter often enough (we've heard of as many as 87,000 miles on the original :eek:), can contribute to failures. In addition, particle contamination or water (rust) can hasten the demise of a fuel injection pump.

The new ULSD contains lower levels of fuel lubricity than the older fuel, but I haven't seen a report for an average lifespan of the injection pump used in the Duramax. Generally, a commercial fuel treatment that includes additional fuel lubricity and a cetane improver can increase fuel economy just enough to pay for the cost of treatment. This means the fuel system cleaners and extra lubricity are basically free. I recommend using a commercial diesel fuel treatment. ;)

Jim