PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Ride

78Chev
07-22-2009, 09:44
I'm new to the Duramax world and have a question about ride height. I have an '06 GMC 2500HD. I would actually like to lower my ride by about an inch and a half so that it is at a better height for my trailer hitch (and so the wife can get into it easier). Mine has 1.5 inch blocks between the rear springs and axle - is this normal? (RPOs: YD5 & YD6 Rear Spring Base Equipment; Z82: HD Trailering Equipment.) I was wondering if I can remove the blocks and remove some tension on the torsion bars to drop the front the same amount, then have it realigned? Thanks.
Randy

More Power
07-25-2009, 20:35
Did you buy the truck new? The 2500HD's didn't come with blocks between the axle spring mounting pads and the leaf springs...

Jim

78Chev
07-26-2009, 11:51
Just bought it used. I looked at the torsion bar keys and they are almost all the way down. But mine does have blocks in the back. So not sure what is going on. How can I tell if the keys are stock? Anyone have height measurements off a stock '06 2500HD for me to compare mine with? Thanks.

NutNbutGMC
07-26-2009, 12:49
I'm new to the Duramax world and have a question about ride height. I have an '06 GMC 2500HD. I would actually like to lower my ride by about an inch and a half so that it is at a better height for my trailer hitch (and so the wife can get into it easier). Mine has 1.5 inch blocks between the rear springs and axle - is this normal? (RPOs: YD5 & YD6 Rear Spring Base Equipment; Z82: HD Trailering Equipment.) I was wondering if I can remove the blocks and remove some tension on the torsion bars to drop the front the same amount, then have it realigned? Thanks.
RandyHave you considered a 4 - 6" drop ball mount and a step board for the wife? Just sayin'.

78Chev
07-26-2009, 13:36
Thanks. Have done the ball drop and step for the wife. (No pun intended) :-)
I know I'm in the minority but I just don't like the looks of a lifted truck.

78Chev
08-05-2009, 21:41
Today I had a local 4WD shop remove the blocks in the back and install oem torsion keys in the front. So now it's back to factory ride specs. Put Bilsteins on it and had it realigned. Man did it improve the ride.