PDA

View Full Version : What direction does the oil flow through the cooler?

914turboford
07-23-2009, 21:20
Can anyone tell me which oil cooler hole in the block is the out hole? Is it the one closer to the flywheel or furthest from the flywheel (closer to the front of the engine)?
Brian

Roachie
07-23-2009, 22:18
I'm almost sure I posted up this same question on here within the last 6 months, but when I did a search I couldn't find the thread.

Anyway, I'm "almost" certain the answer was that the port closest to the flywheel was the pressure line and the other one closer to the front of the motor was the return line.

Depending on why you need to know..... there is no difference as far as most oil coolers are concerned as they are not a one-way flow unit, so whichever way you hook it up is okay.

However, if you need to know because you want to use them to install (for example) a bypass oil filtration system, then yes, you will need to know...... Or you could do what i did and leave that cooling system alone and just remove the oil filter and replace it with an adaptor so the remote filtration system can be plumbed up to that. If you go down this road, then I can tell you for sure, that the outer series of holes are the oil-out direction and the main central hole is the return line. I have a dual remote head Amsoil set-up fitted in this way and I also added another small (3") oil cooler in the line too. By using Amsoil big-daddy bypass filter (the B110), I now have a greatly increased oil capacity too... the filter alone holds 2 litres (about a quart for you folks up there in the states...hahaha), thus remedying one of my pet hates about the 6.5 motor: the small oil capacity.

Of course, if you definitely need to know the oil flow direction, the sure-fire way is to remove one of the hoses and crank the engine while somebody else (someone that you don't like too much maybe.....hahaha), lays on their back under the rig and sees which way the oil comes out: it'll either be out of the hose or out of the engine.....

Good luck

Roachie

Hubert
07-24-2009, 05:14
Yes, closer to the flywheel is "going to the cooler"

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=930&sort=1&ppuser=18766

914turboford
07-24-2009, 10:03
Thank you Hubert and Roachie. That is just what I needed. I am putting two oil filters in parallel in the cooler line. I made a short(about 3/4" tall), empty filter to replace the stock one.
Brian