PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure in a 6.5?

Roachie
07-23-2009, 22:08
G'day from down-under.....

Just wondering if anybody knows what the maximum oil pressure is likely to be in a 6.5 please?

I'm wanting to fit a gauge to show me what pressure I have. With previous rigs (Japanese manufacture) that I have owned, they have peaked at around 85psi just after start up, but then settle down to around 30psi and at adle, they have barely registered at all on the dial.

I'm thinking of getting either a McNally dual gauge (oil temp and pressure) although these seem to be VERY EXPENSIVE.....

Otherwise I will just get hold of a VDO electrical pressure gauge. I'm not keen on the mechanical gauge type as I don't want to have a hot oil line in the cab with me!!! ;)

Any info would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks

Roachie

Lightyear
07-24-2009, 04:51
Not sure what the tech specs are, but my '99 Burb holds 40psi on a cold start, 60psi under load after about two minutes through the neighborhood, 20psi at idle when warm, and 40psi under load when warm.

Hubert
07-24-2009, 05:32
The oil pump has a relief I think its around 80 psi so it shouldn't ever go above that. Similarly 60 psi is my high.

Robyn
07-24-2009, 06:52
If you use a gauge that will handle 80 PSI your set.

The factory oil pressure is speced at 40 PSI running at RPM and idle at 20PSI

Some will be a little higher some a little lower depending on the condition of the engine.

If an older 6.5 is fitted with the newer style (squirt Block) oil pump (late 96 on) the pressure will be a bit higher.

The newer style pumps displace a higher volume to compensate for the oil squirt nozzles in the mains that spray the pistons underside.

Using one of these pumps on the early bliocks yields a much greater supply of oil and also more pressure.

They will run around 70 PSI down the road.

I used a squirt block pump in my DaHooooley overhaul and I have a 94 model non squirt block.

Any good gauge that is a full sweep face with 80 to 100 as the high mark will be fine.

Its nice to use a gauge that places the running pressure in the middle of its travel when running.

Good luck

Robyn