PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Turbo Exhaust Troubles...

UGLYTRUK
07-26-2009, 19:20
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just drove this rig 4400 miles from Phoenix Arizona to Jacksonville Florida, then upstate NE New York. The last few hundred miles it developed an exhaust leak up front, but further investigation at home didn't show any leaks at the turbo or exhaust manifold.

So I crawled underneath, and grasped the 3" aftermarket exhaust, and the pipe was completely loose!

So I removed the pass ex. manifold w Turbo, and the down pipe appears to not have enuff of a bell mouth flange. It barely gets grabbed by the joining ring. The turbo ex housing is to the rite. It seemed quiet until recently.

There is also about 1 foot of flex pipe below this pipe. Is this "normal". This is the stuff the rednecks use to make an exhaust system. It actually seems to work OK...

dealwithit
07-26-2009, 22:16
yah thats way to small! i say cut the top 2" off the original pipe and cut 2" off the new pipe and weld on the piece from the old pipe ;) then it'll grab on for sure!

UGLYTRUK
07-27-2009, 05:12
I don't have the "old" pipe. I need the flange from one, maybe at the muffler shop... I have a MIG welder

Robyn
07-27-2009, 06:20
WEll here is a Red Neck solution to the issue.

Yank the pipe out and get it and the turbo out on the floor where you can get intimate with it.

Get out the torch and heat the flange on the down pipe cherry red. Working one spot at a time (maybe and inch long) use a small hammer and form the flange out so it is wider and will be captured by the band clamp.

**** Use a very small ball peen hammer with the face about the size of a Nickel) (Not the rounded back end either)

This may seem like a hokey fix but, if done with a little patience and care will work quite fine.

Whoever did the pipe just did not make it right.

A little blacksmithing will make the thing work sweet.

Once you have the flange enlarged all the way around fit it to the turbo flange and make sure it sits well on the shallow taper of the turbo outlet.

If need be you can do a little more heat and beat on any areas that dont sit quite right.

Once youi think its right. do a trial fit and install the band clamp and be sure it all snugs up well before getting the stuff back in the chassis.

Now if you find some spots that dont quite fit perfect, you can heat those spots and then stick the flange on the turbo outlet (use for a jig) and lightly shape those areas untill they do fit.

This has been done before, ask me how I know this. :D

Helped a friend install an Ebay exhaust kit on a Burb a while back on a Sunday.

Now, the flex pipe stuff is not a normal thing that we see on these exhausts.

Sounds Redneck to me :eek:

Big rigs almost always have a short flex to allow the air ride cabs to move some without stressing the exhaust system..

Hope this will help

Missy

john8662
07-27-2009, 07:01
Get on ebay and get yourself a new correct downpipe with the right flange on the end, that will fit and all you have to do is reconnect the rest of the exhaust system to it. You may be able to get just a downpipe from some of the vendors here on the forum. Another option may be to scout out the local salvage yards for a stock downpipe, and cut the flange off of it (if its not too rusty) and weld it to the pipe you have. How well did this downpipe fit clearance wise.

UGLYTRUK
07-27-2009, 11:53
Sounds like a good plan, Missy... Thx...

UGLYTRUK
07-27-2009, 11:55
Clearance was perfect, all was good 'cept the lack of lip on the flange. Even the rednek flexpipe was fine cause there's cement inside to seal it with the heat...

UGLYTRUK
07-28-2009, 11:18
I've got the rite ex manifold off, and removed the glo plugs, the only one I tested was good, but I wonder if the hi miles, 250k, and Veggie oil has caused the injectors to suffer, and the engine to smoke AWFUL when cold. It runs rough, but clears up in a few minutes, and gets over 1000 miles per quart, and didn't use any anti-freeze in a 4400 mile trip accross the country.

I'll check the rest of the glo plugs, but I should really change the injectors with the manifold off. So much easier!

Reccomendations? I'm gonna sell it. Got used???

CareyWeber
07-29-2009, 10:55
V band clamp kits can be purchased from many places.

http://www.hyperformanceracing.com/product.asp?pid=HYPALVBF30

https://secure.netsolhost.com/www.hyperformanceracing.com/images/products/hypalvbf40.jpg

Robyn
07-29-2009, 13:26
The injectors should be tested. Likely they are way down on POP pressure and squirting a Pee stream instead of a fine spray. Hence the poor starting qualities and the smoke.

Glow plugs will only work well for a good startup if the injectors are working right.

Anything over 75000 miles and the squirts are likely toast.

Missy

UGLYTRUK
07-29-2009, 14:12
A local muffler shop made me a flange, but I may use the band clamp, as the flex pipe is a little short... thx for the idea!

UGLYTRUK
07-29-2009, 15:33
So I'll just buy the cheapest ones?