PDA

View Full Version : injection pump timing

berryracer
07-27-2009, 14:04
Is there any way to set the injection pump timing on a 96 6.5 without a Tech 2 scanner. I don't have access to one anymore through my connections due to GMs restructuring my buddys job at a dealer away. Is there a more affordable scanner that will do what I need, or am I sol.... My truck is in need of a pump which I have, but I guess we need a scanner to view the pump timing to set it. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Philsky
07-27-2009, 15:04
I have a tech 2 scanner, but for some reason my timing won't go below 5.67 degrees. It has been running up in the 8 degree range. I am no diesel expert, I have a feeling I might be doing something wrong because my actual and desired timing are the same argghhhh. I have pulled the manifold and rotated the pump left and right but I just can't get the timing to 3.53 degrees. any ideas out there?

dieselrealtor
07-27-2009, 18:05
I am going to be installing a pump in a few days.

Will it have to be timed with a GM scan tool or will I be able to get by with measuring the position & matching the position on new one?

ultimate
07-30-2009, 12:08
Is there any way to set the injection pump timing on a 96 6.5 without a Tech 2 scanner.

Autoengenuity is a program that could be helpful........Google search.

joed
07-30-2009, 15:25
Or if you have a laptop, I've had good luck using CarCode (OBD-2). It's fairly inexpensive ($130 or so) and it will set timing.

As for adjusting the timing, on the OBD-II trucks (96&newer) you can set the TDC offset without a scanner, using the following procedure: (often called KOKO - key on, key off).

1. Start the engine.
2. Operate the vehicle until the engine coolant temperature is greater than 77°C (170°F).
3. Turn the ignition ON with the engine OFF.
4. Hold the accelerator pedal in the wide open throttle position for a minimum of 45 seconds (this step prepares the PCM to activate the offset learn (internal).
5. Turn the ignition OFF for 30 seconds. In this step, the PCM is being powered down.
6. Start the engine.
Verify in the scan tool that ECT is greater than 77°C (170°F). If not, operate vehicle until desired ECT is achieved (vehicle can be driven or throttle can be depressed until correct coolant temperature is achieved).
As soon as ECT is greater than 77°C (170°F) and the engine speed is below 1500 RPMs, the PCM automatically learns a new offset.
7. A new offset will over write the previous one.

You really need some sort of scanner to tell you where you're at, before and after. Also, it won't set if codes are present.

I think if you mark and position the new pump the same as old, the timing should be close enough to not set a code.

Joe.

oldsaltriver
04-11-2013, 08:47
Autoengenuity is a program that could be helpful........Google search.
must intake manifold be removed?

john8662
04-11-2013, 12:31
to time, no, it doesn't.