PDA

View Full Version : DTech or Stanadyne PMD? Who remans GMs pumps?

dieselrealtor
07-30-2009, 17:42
I now have a new Stanadyne pmd along with a remote mount kit.

I just purchased a GM reman pump with a new (from what I can tell) DTech pmd.

I am going to remove the one from the pump & use the remote mount of course.

Thinking about putting an oil sending unit in while the intake is off, thoughts?

Which one would the all wise Dieselpage users mount & which one to keep for a spare?

Who remans GMs pumps?

Thanks in advance

sidenote;
Got the old pump out & found out I don't have the right allen wrench to pull the pmd off the new pump, trip to the store tomorrow. Pulling the pump was a little more painful than I thought it would be, took a little over 2 hours, I expect the reinstall will be around 3-4.

convert2diesel
07-30-2009, 20:30
Doug:

Before you go out and buy an allen key, look really closely at the bolt head. The ones on the 96 I have in the garage are actually Torx bits. Made the same assumption, trying to pull the pmd off the pump without pulling the intake. Gave up and pulled the intake anyways. That was when I discovered they were Torx.

Bill

DmaxMaverick
07-30-2009, 21:17
Yes. They are Torx heads, NOT allen (hex socket) heads (although an allen wrench will sometimes work, if they're not too tight). Some later models (2000+?) were security Torx heads.

Harbor Freight carries a "Security fastener bit set" (100 pcs.) for about $20. It contains every bit for every fastener you ever seen that left you scratching your head. I have one, and the quality isn't too bad, even for HF (and the bits fit).

dieselrealtor
07-31-2009, 04:54
The bolts on the original pmd were torx, but both of the new pmds have allens.