PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Rotors

MikeyB
07-31-2009, 08:26
I just had to replace both front rotors and calipers due to rust on the inner surfaces of the rotor. They were very bad. The inner pads were barely making contact and the inner caliper pistons were frozen solid. It is very dry here in comparison to other regions but they have started using mag chloride here during the winters in Colorado. Has anyone else experienced this? I guess I will have to spray them off each week during the winter.

Mike

More Power
08-03-2009, 10:57
Light-duty driving and/or periods of inactivity during the winter months can allow the disc brake components to accumulate more rust, especially if the road department applies a de-icer to the roadways. The calipers should be able to deal with this, but the cast-iron rotors can develop a surface layer of rust. More aggressive stopping occasionally during these times can help to prevent a buildup.

I haven't looked into it yet, but I know there are various types of brake pads available that are more aggressive than others. For example, ceramic compounds are more aggressive and can produce more rotor wear - which might be a better choice if rotor rusting is a continuing problem. Perhaps others here have more ideas....

Jim