PDA

View Full Version : Bests Clutches

meanchev
07-31-2009, 18:24
I need to replace the clutch and pressure plate which do you recommend for the budget weary. truck has the NV4500 and already has a solid mass flywheel. The Clutch that is in there now has always been really stiff and hard on the leg. I want one that is easier to depress and smoother to engage, so i dont get worn out in traffic. THANKS

trbankii
07-31-2009, 18:48
6.5DetroitDiesel and I replaced ours as documented here (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=31207).

Pictures and descriptions of issues and such.

meanchev
07-31-2009, 20:06
I could not see a listing for just the kevlar clutch and pressure plate on rock auto do you know where i can get a price on those.

trbankii
08-01-2009, 04:07
I got everything from South Bend Clutch. Their prices were better than RockAuto and Peter was most helpful with a number of questions that I had.

JohnC
08-01-2009, 09:32
Check the pivot ball and clutch arm. If it's hard on the leg, that's probably the problem. Should be greased sparingly every oil change!

trbankii
08-01-2009, 09:33
Yep, the link I pointed to you shows pictures of my clutch fork and pivot ball. :eek:

meanchev
08-02-2009, 11:11
The pivot ball and fork were new and greased about a year ago. i sent a email asking for prices to southbend so should know tomarrow what the $$$$ will be.

trbankii
08-02-2009, 17:40
When I called SBC, I had to have Peter repeat the price twice because his kit including the flywheel was significantly less than RockAuto wanted for everything without the flywheel - I was switching from dual mass to single mass so needed the whole mess.

meanchev
09-20-2009, 19:52
I got the truck back with a new clutch installed just went basic. well i had a interesting trip home from the shop. i got on the freeway and drove 10 miles and got off well the pedal went to the floor and the truck stalled. I pumped the pedal a few times and it started working again. But the key switch locked up and i couldnt start the truck. I broke it loose and got the truck started and drove it home. When i got home the truck wouldn't shut off. I got it to shut off and started looking into the clutch pedal going to the floor (figured air in the system) found a nice stream of Bake fluid coming from the master cylinder. i replaced the Key switch and master cylinder and bled system. truck is now driving good again. Have any of you come up with a good way to keep the heat from the crossoverpipe from affecting the slave cylinder.